Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Max(Quarter) not working. Quarter = 2001-Q1, 2001-Q2, etc. Help!

Hello,

EDIT - I was able to partially solve this question, now the issue is specifically with sorting by Quarter: for vCalc = 2, Max(Quarter) does not seem to work at all. Quarter is loaded as Year(Date#(YEAR,'YYYY')) & '-Q' & ceil(Month(Date#(MONTH,'MMM'))/3) as Quarter

In my line chart I need to sort the legend (brand) by a ascending market share, but only for the last selected date.

This is a bit more complicated, because both chart dimensions and expressions are variables, which change based buttons. The chart shows market share by brand over time. Specifically, the x-axis is a variable for time, that can be either Year (e.g. 2004), Quarter (e.g. Q1-2004), or Date (e.g. Sep 2004). The expression is written to include annual market share, quarterly market share, monthly market share, and rolling 12, 6 and 3 month share.

Expression below, where "vCalc" is a variable that changes based on which button you press: (This expression works fine.)

If($(vCalc) = 1, sum(Units)/sum(Total <Year> {<[Truck Brand], Group = >} Units),

If($(vCalc) = 2, sum(Units)/sum(Total <Quarter> {<[Truck Brand], Group = >} Units),

If($(vCalc) = 3, sum(Units)/sum(Total <Date> {<[Truck Brand], Group = >} Units),

If($(vCalc) =4, aggr(RangeSum(Above(Sum({$<Year>} Units),0,12)), $(v_sortSelected),Date)/aggr(RangeSum(Above(Sum(Total <Date> {$<Year, [Truck Brand], Group = >} Units),0,12)), $(v_sortSelected), Date),

If($(vCalc) =5, aggr(RangeSum(Above(Sum({$<Year>} Units),0,6)), $(v_sortSelected),Date)/aggr(RangeSum(Above(Sum(Total <Date> {$<Year, [Truck Brand], Group = >} Units),0,6)), $(v_sortSelected), Date),

If($(vCalc) =6, aggr(RangeSum(Above(Sum({$<Year>} Units),0,3)), $(v_sortSelected),Date)/aggr(RangeSum(Above(Sum(Total <Date> {$<Year, [Truck Brand], Group = >} Units),0,3)), $(v_sortSelected), Date)))))))

Now, I want to sort the legend based on highest units sold for each brand, but only for the last selected time period. For example, if 2005 - 2012 were selected, then it would arrange the legend for most units sold in 2012. To do this, in the sort tab of my chart, I entered the expression:

If($(vCalc) = 1, sum( {<Year = {'$(=Max(Year))'} >} Units),

If($(vCalc) = 2, sum( {<Quarter = {'$(=Max(Quarter))'} >} Units),

If($(vCalc) = 3, sum( {<Date = {'$(=Max(Date))'} >} Units),

If($(vCalc) =4, aggr(RangeSum(Above(Sum({$<Year>} {<Date = {'$(=Max(Date))'} >}Units),0,12)), $(v_sortSelected),Date),

If($(vCalc) =5, aggr(RangeSum(Above(Sum({$<Year>} {<Date = {'$(=Max(Date))'} >}Units),0,6)), $(v_sortSelected),Date),

If($(vCalc) =6, aggr(RangeSum(Above(Sum({$<Year>} {<Date = {'$(=Max(Date))'} >}Units),0,3)), $(v_sortSelected),Date)))))))

vCalc = 1 and vCalc = 3 work okay, but the others are not working correctly when trying to sort by the latest date. This leaves me with two problems:

1. (SOLVED) For the rolling months, vCalc = 4,5,6, I am not sure where to write in the Max(Date) function so that it only calculates the rolling (n) months for the latest date selected.
  2. And for vCalc = 2, Max(Quarter) does not seem to work at all. Quarter is loaded as Year(Date#(YEAR,'YYYY')) & '-Q' & ceil(Month(Date#(MONTH,'MMM'))/3) asQuarter

Thanks for any help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

To get both sides of the equation to be the same it would almost be something like the following , but I would i'm definitely not certain this would work unless i could test it on a sample first.

if($(vCalc) = 2, sum(

{<Quarter =

{'$(=

left(  Max(left(Quarter,4)*10 + right(Quarter,1)) ,4)

& '-Q' & 

right(Max(left(Quarter,4)*10 + right(Quarter,1)),1)

)'} >} Units),

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Maybe sort quarter by expression:

left(Quarter,4) * 10  +  right(Quarter,1)

then its ripe for a numeric ascending sort.

2010-Q1 ->  20101

2010-Q2 ->  20102

2010-Q3 ->  20103

2010-Q4 ->  20104

2011-Q1 ->  20111

2011-Q2 ->  20112

2011-Q3 ->  20113

2011-Q4 ->  20114

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Jonathan! I think that is the direction I need to go. How would I plug that expression in to my sort expression? It must be part of my full sort expression, because it is based on the variable vCalc. The Quarter section below:

if($(vCalc) = 2, sum( {<Quarter = {'$(=Max(Quarter))'} >} Units),

Should I do something like:

if($(vCalc) = 2, sum( {<Quarter = {'$(=Max(left(Quarter,4)*10 + right(Quarter,1))'} >} Units),

I am not sure how to consider that in my expression.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

To get both sides of the equation to be the same it would almost be something like the following , but I would i'm definitely not certain this would work unless i could test it on a sample first.

if($(vCalc) = 2, sum(

{<Quarter =

{'$(=

left(  Max(left(Quarter,4)*10 + right(Quarter,1)) ,4)

& '-Q' & 

right(Max(left(Quarter,4)*10 + right(Quarter,1)),1)

)'} >} Units),

Not applicable
Author

Thanks! That worked for me. The only thing I had to do was change the single quotes to double quotes after sum({Quarter= { and after (Quarter,1)),1)):

If($(vCalc) = 2, sum( {<Quarter = {"$(=left(Max(left(Quarter,4)*10 + right(Quarter,1)),4)&'-Q'&right(Max(Left(Quarter,4)*10 + right(Quarter,1)),1))"} >} Units)