Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Modifying a Search Object

When using a "Search Object", against a very long list, there is a visible delay between characters within the string.  This appears to happen as QlikView searches the data for each letter.  Can I modify the "Search Object" so QlikView will not stop processing until the entire string has been entered? 

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

No, but as a workaround you can type a long string somewhere else, e.g. in notepad, and copy/paste into Search.

You can submit an idea to activate search only by request (click on the magnifying glass for example).

Regards,

Michael

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Here's a possible workaround:

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-5461

vikasgupta
Creator
Creator

Hi Martin

You can customize the search object by simple modification please find the attached example sheet.

Thanks

Vikas

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Vikas,

I am confused - what exactly did you modify in the uploaded qvw file?

Martin

vikasgupta
Creator
Creator

hi

we create a field which includes all fieldnames and give the user the option to select beforehand where he wants to perform his search.Ideally, we group the fieldnames into sheets where they are used or their residing tables to increase usability.

In the search box we use the following formula: =Concat([%Field Names],', ')

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You are basically quoting my uploaded Document. I am confused here.

Not applicable
Author

This is a very ingenious trick.  Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately my search is on a single field.  Additional experimentation suggests the performance problem is not with the search itself.  Rather it is that QlikView formats the other objects on the sheet for each character entered.  Two of these objects are particularly burdensome as they order 1.5 Million payees by total payments over 20Million  payments.

The search is intended to help the user narrow the list to payments made by a particular organization or for a specific commodity.  There is really no value in desplaying the vendor list except for all and once a specific organization and/or commodity have been selected.