Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

One formula, mathematical operation on one dimensional value, then add together?

Hello community,

I am struggling with even figuring out what to use for a search string when researching this topic. Basically, I have a situation where I need to perform a multiplication against each dimensional value then add each resulting value together, finally dividing by the sum of another set of values. I am not able to see a clear path through to this but know it should work. Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Let me illustrate...(a weighted average)...

Formula: ((P1*W1) + (P2*W2)) / (W1+W2)

Let's put some real values behind this...

GroupGenderPopulationWeight
1Male452
1Female231
2Male195
2Female410

(SUM(Population)*SUM(Weight)) / SUM(Weight)

Does not give the correct value because it will add all of the populations and add all the weights finally multiplying the two values before dividing by the weights (which would mathematically negate the multiplication anyhow).

What we need to do is:

((45*2) + (23*1) + (19*5) + (4*10)) / (2+1+5+10)

= ((90)+(23)+(95)+(40)) / (18)

= (248) / (18)

= 13.78

The total weight averages of all genders.

Furthermore, I then need the same formula to work if I create a chart object with the dimension Gender and the total weighted average (irrespective of Group):

Male weighted: ((45*2)+(19*5)) / (2+5) = 26.43

Female weighted: ((23*1)+(4*10)) / (1+10) = 5.73

GenderWeighted Average
Male26.43
Female5.73

Finally, you would be able to use the same formula is showing the Group and total weighted average (irrespective of the Gender):

Group 1 weighted: ((45*2) + (23*1)) / (2+1) = 37.67

Group 2 weighted: ((19*5) + (4*10)) / (5+10) = 9.0

GroupWeighted Average

And you get the idea. One formula, any slice as long as we use the Population and the Weight in the formula.

Mike

Message was edited by: Michael Forte - Corrected a typo

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Try this

=Sum(Aggr(Sum({<Scenario = {'Actual'}, KPI = {'Population'}>} Value) * Sum({<Scenario = {'Actual'}, KPI = {'Weight'}>} Value), Category, Group))/Sum({<Scenario = {'Actual'}, KPI = {'Weight'}>} Value)

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Kushal_Chawda

try this expression

=sum(Population*Weight)/sum( Weight)

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Check this?

Capture.JPG

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Close, but there is a thicker plot at play here -- the data is not structured well and I am stuck with that for now...

The data set does not have just these values in it. There is a [Value] field that contains values for many different KPIs -- population and weight being just two. There is a [Scenario] field that contains an identifier for whether [Value] is plan, actual, or a comment. So, we need to apply set analysis to the equation which will "pick" the correct value.

KPICategoryGroupScenarioValue
PopulationMale1Actual45
PopulationMale2Actual19
PopulationMale1Plan10
PopulationMale2Plan30
PopulationFemale1Actual23
PopulationFemale2Actual4
PopulationFemale1Plan20
PopulationFemale2Plan8
WeightMale1Actual2
WeightMale2Actual5
WeightFemale1Actual1
WeightFemale2Actual10
sunny_talwar

Try this

=Sum(Aggr(Sum({<Scenario = {'Actual'}, KPI = {'Population'}>} Value) * Sum({<Scenario = {'Actual'}, KPI = {'Weight'}>} Value), Category, Group))/Sum({<Scenario = {'Actual'}, KPI = {'Weight'}>} Value)

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I figured this would need an Aggr() and I just tested with it. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sunny,

I have a new challenge and hopefully I created a data set that works for the test. Convert the table to a pivot as below, where the KPI population is weighted with a data set that has two months. I don't think we want to aggr() by month, do we?

MaleFemaleMaleFemale
Population

((45 * 2) + (10 * 4)) / (2 + 4)

((23 * 1) + (20 * 19)) / (1 + 19)

((19 * 5) + (30 * 3)) / (5 + 3)

((4 * 10) + (8 * 7)) / (10 + 7)

MonthKPICategoryGroupScenarioValue

Jan

PopulationMale1Actual45
JanPopulationMale2Actual19
FebPopulationMale1Actual10
FebPopulationMale2Actual30
JanPopulationFemale1Actual23
JanPopulationFemale2Actual4
FebPopulationFemale1Actual20
FebPopulationFemale2Actual8
JanWeightMale1Actual2
JanWeightMale2Actual5
JanWeightFemale1Actual1
JanWeightFemale2Actual10
FebWeightMale1Actual4
FebWeightMale2Actual3
FebWeightFemale1Actual19
FebWeightFemale2Actual7
sunny_talwar

This

=Sum(Aggr(Sum({<Scenario = {'Actual'}, KPI = {'Population'}>} Value) * Sum(TOTAL <Category, Group, Month>{<Scenario = {'Actual'}, KPI = {'Weight'}>} Value), KPI, Category, Group, Month))/Sum(TOTAL <Category, Group>{<Scenario = {'Actual'}, KPI = {'Weight'}>} Value)

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Sunny. I am not able to get this to work with my data set and pivot table. Does the aggr() need to match the pivot dimensions across the top?

sunny_talwar

I believe so... but won't really know if you have more or less dimensions... the above might not work if you have collapsed your dimensions as well... do you need them to work even when collapsed? What would be the expected number you would expect to see when collapsed?