Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Open External File (PDF) from QlikView AccessPoint

Hello Experts,

I am trying to open an external PDF files from QlikView Access Point.

I have created a button and action.

External - Launch ..

Don't know what are the steps to achieve this..

When I am using Browse button near Application to select PDF file name along with path, it opens in Desktop view... but even though the same steps I am following at server end, I am unable to open the file through Access Point..

Can anyone please help me to get this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Is this a single static PDF file, or is the path to it somewhere in the data?

If it is a single file, that is always in the same place, you can probably put a link in just by hacking the HTML code that is in C:\Program Files\QlikView\Web\Index.htm .  Once you have changed this file make sure you have backed it up, as it will get overwritten with upgrades.

This is a useful way of putting a How To document on your Access point.

If it is a file that is referenced in the data then opening as a link from QlikView should work in AccessPoint.  Rather than using Launch go for Open URL and put the path in there.  Launch is trying to open an application on the client machine (something that the browser is not going to allow), by pointing to the file as a URL it is then up to the client browser how it deals with it - which it will be much happier about.

Hope that helps.

Steve

View solution in original post

6 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Is this a single static PDF file, or is the path to it somewhere in the data?

If it is a single file, that is always in the same place, you can probably put a link in just by hacking the HTML code that is in C:\Program Files\QlikView\Web\Index.htm .  Once you have changed this file make sure you have backed it up, as it will get overwritten with upgrades.

This is a useful way of putting a How To document on your Access point.

If it is a file that is referenced in the data then opening as a link from QlikView should work in AccessPoint.  Rather than using Launch go for Open URL and put the path in there.  Launch is trying to open an application on the client machine (something that the browser is not going to allow), by pointing to the file as a URL it is then up to the client browser how it deals with it - which it will be much happier about.

Hope that helps.

Steve

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP
Author

@kush141087Before raising this question, I spent 3 hours on Qlik Community search and have read almost all answers...!!

Not a single answer helped me..

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi Manish,

this is a very simple example of how you can link to a hosted PDF. To get the idea, do this:

• On your QlikView server, put PDFDocument.pdf (attached) in directory C:\Program Files\QlikView\Web\
  • On your QlikView server, put the QVW (see attachment) in your User Documents folder, mounted folder, or run a task to distribute it to you in the AP.
  • Open the AP, open the document and click the blue link.

Linking to external documents from inside a QlikView document in the AP can become very tricky indeed, and largely depends on the setup of your QlikView server and the configuration of QMC and folders on your server. If you have SharePoint or another Document Management System, host the pdf overthere and link to it using the published URL.

Best,

Peter

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP
Author

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.
I have created another folder and mounted it in

QMC - System - Setup - Management Service - QlikView Web Servers - Web - Root Folders

Now using OPEN URL action for Button or Text Object, my problem get resolved..