Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Oracle cum_dist() function in Qlikview challenge

Hi guys, in Oracle is quite easy to do a RFM Analysis using cum_dist() function as you can see in this example :

Deep Data Mining Blog: Recency, Frequency, Monetary (RFM) Analysis: Part 2

But I've found no way to replicate this example in Qlikview.

If I have the following table :

USER_ID CATSTATE_IDCAMPAIGN_DATECAMPAIGN_ID RESPONSE
1001MA       01-MAY-12 A        N
1001MA      08-MAY-12 A       N
1001 A MA      15-MAY-12 A       Y
1001MA       22-MAY-12 A        N
1001MA       29-may-12A        N
1001MA       06-JUN-12 A        N
1001B CT       06-JUN-12 A        N
1002CT       01-may-12A       N
1002CT       08-may-12A       N
1002CT       15-may-12A       Y
1002CT       22-MAY-12 A        N
1002 B CT       29-may-12A       Y

How could I get the following result? :

USER_ID RECENCY_DAYS RECENCY_QUINTILE
1001 151 3
1002 30 5
1003   72 2

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards, Marcel.

7 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Marcel,

I got a set of eyes on this, expect a response shortly.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Marcel,

Got to say I can't see how the output result in your example can be derived from the input!  I might be being stupid but where did USER_ID = 1003 come from!? Also, Max(CAMPAIGN_DATE) WHERE RESPONSE = Y for 1001 and 1002 are only a few days apart so how can the RECENCY_DAYS be so far apart!?

Anyway - I think this can be done using QlikView's Rank() function. See the attached example.

(I have done the grouping in the script but you could use Aggr() to do it dynamically)

Hope this gets you on the right path,

Jason

marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Thanks Jason for the approach, the point is to "score" in equal quintiles a expression (in this case is recency, frequency and sales), the RFM Analysis, and it has to be dynamic.

Here you have an example of sales by customers, and my desired score :

CustomerSales €Score
562 €
c172 €5
c271 €5
c355 €5
c436 €4
c536 €4
c636 €4
c736 €3
c836 €3
c936 €3
c1035 €2
c1135 €2
c1220 €2
c1320 €1
c1419 €1
c1519 €1

I'm trying to get that score using rank(), fractile() and aggr() with no success by now.

Regards, Marcel.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Is this not it? Again - I'm not sure how you got your result exactly but my method gets close...

I'm not familiar with RFM Analysis but looked it up quickly. Your data below is one sale per customer so frequency is out and there is no date field so recency can't be worked out either can it?

marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Thanks Jason! It's a nice approach, now I have to take a look at this, and compare it with another developing RFM tools in excel. I'm afraid this is not the final answer. As I was seeing with another tools, in Oracle they solve it with cum_dist() function, and in excel, they solve it with percentile.inc() function, that's why I'm trying to get a perfect match in Qlikview.

In addition, you can see this is not the final solution when you select some customers, the result is not changing dinamically.

You deserve at least level 10 in the forum, thanks a lot for your help!

Regards, Marcel.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

There'll be a way. I'll have another look over the weekend or maybe someone else will have a solution for you.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

This is a two step calculation, and fairly straightforward in QlikView:

1. Calculate the most recent response and the number of days ago this happened (Recency). In principle, this is a simple aggregation: "Today() - Max(If(Response='Y',CampaignDate)) as Recency"
  2. Rank the users and use the rank to calculate the quintile: "Ceil(5*Rank(Recency,3)/Count(Distinct Total UserID))"

I would do the first step in the script, and the second in a chart.

HIC