Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Out of Memory Error

Hello Friends

I have a huge report with 30 plus dimensions and 15 + expressions. I am running the report for a long range say 1 year. When I try to export the report to excel it gives the attached error.(screenshot attached).

Can you please let me know how to handle this situation apart from upping the memory and root causes of this problem?

Thanks

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Use less dimensions and expressions. You could let the user select dimensions and expressions and customize the table layout themselves that way. See for example this blog post: Customizable Straight Table

Or force users to first make selections to limit the number of records the table will show: Conditional show Straight table based on number of rows

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
marcus_sommer

Somewhere I assume within the easter egg are options to customize the max. size of RAM which an object could get. But this is a global setting and it's not recommended to change it.

I think in your case it would be better to consider other options, for example to split such export on quarter- or month-level, to export into csv, to reduce the complexity and data-types from this object (columns with text will need a lot more RAM as which with numbers or more practically replace label-fields through ID-fields).

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Hello Marcus

What is the recommended size of RAM that would be ideal for situations

where we are dealing with huge reports ( lots of columns and expressions)

with lots of rows. Is there a number that QV recommends or a number that

you can suggest based on your experience?

Thanks

Rizwan

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Marcus Sommer <qcwebmaster@qlikview.com>

marcus_sommer

This RAM meant not the size of installed RAM on the machine else the RAM which a single object could be obtain. This is limited to a certain size to make sure that the application itself (and the server) will be stable even a single object required a lot of RAM which could be easily happens when an object like a pivot-chart is complex and contains many dimensions maybe with dimension-groups, some visibility-conditions and similar especially when vertically and horizontall used which could cause an explosion of RAM.

Therefore is the recommendation not to create huge reports which per gui will be exported else (if really needed such large outputs) to create them within the script and store them as csv or as qvx: QlikView QVX File Format.

- Marcus