Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of Virtual and/or Actual memory ?

I have modified an existing Qlikview report from using a table box to use a Straight table in order to create Summary total lines for some of my money columns. The aggregation of these summary rows seems to be causing a memory shortage? When I try to load all the data (5.4 million rows) I keep getting the error message OUT OF VIRTUAL AND/OR ACTUAL MEMORY. When I use a smaller subset of the data the report runs fine,  but as soon as I go back to a full load the error returns.   Is there some sort of internal memory setting in Qlikview that can be adjusted.  5.4 million rows does not seem like a lot of data to me ? My Straight table consists of 13 columns of Dimension and 8 columns of aggregated expressions.   I am running on a Qlikview Server if that makes a difference?  Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks  

ps.  please see enclosed example of report ...

1 Reply
marcus_sommer

This restriction - max. amount of RAM per object - is intentionally set to ensure the stability of the application and/or the server. AFAIK this couldn't be adjusted or disabled and these limits are usually high enough for most of the (sensible) use-cases.

Qlik isn't designed to display so many rows and columns and it doesn't make much sense either. Who could navigate with such large table.

I assume that you will respond that nobody will work with the table in Qlik and it should be exported or further use in different tools. If this is the case then you should better create this table within the script and store it into a file.

To illustrate it a bit here a small simplified calculation:

5.4 M rows * (13 + 😎 columns * 15 bytes (assumed average of a single cell) ≈ 1.5 GB of RAM

just for rendering the object. With the calculation and the caching for a few selections and exporting the table a single object could easily grab all available RAM and crash the system.

- Marcus