Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

'Override' section access to get totals

I have an application that uses section access to limit users to see only the data for people that report to them.  Is there a way to override that in certain conditions for provide overall averages so that they can compare their team to the overall department averages? 

7 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I believe section access will reduce data that you don't have rights to access on login, the data is really removed from the internal data model.

If you want to acces data after that point, you should not reduce it with section access. For example, you might keep a copy of overall averages in your data model, but reduce / remove only the more detailed data.

Is this something you want? Or how should your use case look like in more detail?

Not applicable
Author

I may have to revisit how I designed the application.  It was so easy to just use section access to limit access to the agents' data.  I have one of the keys as the agent id, so I would have to change things around to have the group average available.

Thanks for your help!

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe you could do that.

You could also use the login information using OSUser() or QVUser() to conditionally show objects / impact expressions. IMHO, that's not as secure and easy as section access, but probably more flexible.

Not applicable
Author

Here, secure is pretty important.  I think I will publish the necessary averages in another way and stick with what I have so far. 

There's always versin 2.0!

Thanks!

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

The only solution to your scenario is to do the calculations in the backend script, so that the values can be picked as precalculated results in to the frontend application. Besides solving your issue, this will also save you calculations in runtime which could be nice in bigger applications.

Without Section Access user might be able to create new object and thereby access data that you have not intended for them, so building your own access in expressions will probabaly not be very smooth.

Not applicable
Author

I'll take a look at that!  That just might do the trick.

Kumar9
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Interesting scenario and I also have the similar requirement. What if I dont want to do pre-calculation on overall average? Is it possible to get average on total after applying section access, i.e., getting rid of few calculations on section access.

Thanks for your help on this.