Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

P() and E() set analysis between dimension values

Hello good folks of the net,

I have a calculation that I am struggling with. Is anyone able to offer some insight?

I have a fairly straightforward report requirement where I want to count the number of customers in a period. I also need to know how many are new and how many have been lost. I have tried using e() set analysis to exclude customers who exist in the previous period but I cant seem to find the correct syntax, if indeed that is the correct way to do it.

I have attached a sample document with the data boiled down to the bare minimum. As an example, Account 10006 and 10007 appeared in 201302 but not in 201401, so the new count for 201402 should be 2.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

6 Replies
simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Can you be more specific: You want to count the number of customers in a period. What period? How do you determine the new and how do you determine the lost ones?

Furthermore, I don't see year month 2013 02 in your sample data set - am I missing something?

Not applicable
Author

Sorry, that was a typo. It should have been 201402, not 201302. I would like to count customers who are new in a period, i.e. they didnt appear in the previous period. In my example above, 5 customers traded in 201401. In 201402 another 2 traded (10006, 10007) so the total number of customers is 7 and the number of new is 2.

directory_example.PNG.png

simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Thanks for the clarification. If let's say in 201403 there were 5 customers. 2 dropped out in 201404 but at the same time 2 new came in - even though the count of customers is the same, you expect the number of new customers to be 2, is that correct?

Not applicable
Author

Correct. The final table should look something like this:

Active5778
New5212
Lost0011
New:New:New:
Lost:Lost

I've included the detail of what makes up each new/lost calculation below for clarity.

Not applicable
Author

I'd be just as interested to hear if anyone just thinks this isnt possible, as well as to hear a solution. If the consensus is that its not possible then I can carry on and create it in the data model.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Watson,

Try this script

Orders:

LOAD Order_No as Account,

Period,

If(Previous(Order_No) <> Order_No, 'New', 'Old') AS Flag

FROM

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1)

ORDER BY Account, Period;

and expression for New as

=Count({<Flag={'New'}>}Distinct Account)

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.