Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ellenblackwell
Partner - Contributor III

Pharma data: Intersection of P() yields unexpected results

Hello Community,

I am using an intersection of possible values in set analysis. When I use the expression in a text object, I get the correct results for any given Month/Year. When I use it in a chart, where the dimension is Month/Year, I do not get the correct results - unless I select on a single Month/Year value.

Business rules:

1. Identify physicians who wrote prescriptions (for our product) for patients who had not previously been prescribed our product ('new to brand')

2. Identify physicians who received samples of our product

3. If a physician wrote new to brand prescriptions AND the same physician received product samples,

• Sum the number of new to brand prescriptions written, then divide by
  • The sum of samples received

Example: In June, Dr. Smith wrote prescriptions for 15 patients who had never been prescribed our product; also in June, Dr. Smith received 3 samples of our product: 15/3 = 5

Expression:

=sum(

{<PHYSICIAN_ID = p({<FLG_OurProduct={1}, [FLG_PatntRxNewToBrand]={1}>})

p({<[FLG_ReceivedSamples]={1}>}), FLG_OurProduct={1}, [FLG_PatntRxNewToBrand]={1}>}

[Rx_QTY])

/

sum(

{<PHYSICIAN_ID = p({<FLG_OurProduct={1}, [FLG_PatntRxNewToBrand]={1}>})

p({<[FLG_ReceivedSamples]={1}>})>}

[Samples  QTY])

QV Objects

All Months

nbrx.png

June selected

nbrx_June.png

3 Replies
sunny_talwar

I think the problem is that set analysis is evaluated once per chart and you might be looking for a solution which is more like for each row. Will it be possible to share a sample to look for different options that you might have? It would also be helpful if you can provide expected output as well from the sample provided.

Best,

Sunny

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think Sunny is right.

There is a classic blog post that discusses

Evaluating "sets" in the context of a dimension

and also proposes one possible solution, to create an expression that pick() / match()'es  the correct aggregation with set expression based on the dimension value (you would include a set modifier for the year month value in each set expression).

There are more samples in the forum that show how to do this.

You can also create a variable that builds the conditional and the sets based on the selected / possible year month values dynamically, using Concat(), but the syntax might be a bit tricky for that (but there are existing example also for this approach in the forum, AFAIR),

ellenblackwell
Author

Thank you Sunny! I have attached some sample data with the desired Totals for June and July. I am refining the business rules logic:

1. Identify physicians who wrote prescriptions (for our product) for patients who had not previously been prescribed our product ('new to brand')

2. Identify physicians who received samples of our product

3. If a physician wrote new to brand prescriptions AND the same physician received product samples,

• Sum the number of new to brand prescriptions written for the current + prior 5 months; then, divide by
  • The sum of samples received for the current + prior 5 months.