Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem with Bookmarks with Closed Items

I'm migrating some Excel Pivot reports over to QlikView.  The Excel reports had a lot of tabs, each containing a pivot on the same data with different filtering criteria.  To replicate this in QV I'm setting up bookmarks (each replicating the filtering criteria on one of the Excel tabs) by generating the .BM.XML files myself from an Excel VBA macro and nearly all is going very well!  (I'm generating the .BM.XML file in this manner as my document will have many bookmarks with multiple combinations of many fields, and it's easier to maintain them externally and apply sweeping changes in the spreadsheet than it is to manually alter many bookmarks within QV.)

The problem I've hit is where a bookmark contains a combination of fields such that the selection of one will cause the another to be 'closed' as there's no matching combination of the two (or more) selected items in {$}.

What appears to happen is that QlikView will apply some of the filtering defined in the bookmark and then not apply filtering against subsequent fields that have become closed as a result of application of the earlier filtering.

Consider the following short example - it represents the problem I'm encountering without publishing my great-big snowflake data model:

TestTable:

Load * inline

[

BranchNumber, ClassOfBusiness

1,C1

2,C1

3,C1

4,C2

5,C2

6,C2

7,C3

8,C3

9,C3

10,C4

11,C4

12,C4

];

When using a multi-box, if I select ClassOfBusiness C1 then my choice of BranchNumber is restricted to 1,2,3.  All others are 'closed'.  Similarly if I select BranchNumber 1, my ClassOfBusiness shows only C1 available.

If I select BranchNumber 1 and then select ClassOfBusiness C3, my selection of BranchNumber is cleared (because there's no 1 / C3 combination) and {$} now contains branches 7,8,9.

The trouble with this is that I have bookmarks that do the equivalent of "Branch 1, C3 business".  Now I'd like that combination of filtering criteria to be applied fully and result in my QV pivot table containing no data.  Instead though, I get Branch 1 and ClassOfBusiness = C1, I can't get it to select C3 as it's closed by the selection of Branch 1, so although the 'user' has selected criteria that should give results showing there's no C3 business at Branch 1, they will be shown all C1 business a Branch 1... there's be transactions and payments on screen that do not relate to the filtering criteria that they have selected, and that's very bad indeed!

Does anyone know how to force a bookmark's selections to be applied even when values being selected by the bookmark have become 'closed' as a result of earlier criteria applied within the same bookmark please?

Thanks.

0 Replies