Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Problem with a formula - that is part of all my apps...

Hi,

can anybody tell me - with the material attached - why my PC is regularly freezing and telling me that the memory is maxed out with just these two formulas (in the diagram in my qvw file)?

The first of these two - the presence_quota, not the absence_quota - is part of nearly all the QlikView apps I have built so far (both quotas are in the resp. diagram which in its turn is part of every app, but that does not pose any problems, it's just this "overview diagram" (supposed to give an overview of all the KPIs in an app, together with the YTD_values which are interesting only on management level). The absence_quota, as you see, is calculated differently - it is not the "turnaround" of the presence_quota - and, well, these two formulas seem to be killing my PC every time.

Can anybody tell me what is there about them that is so resource-intensive - and how I can make it better?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: I have tried my best to provide you the original qvw - minus all sensitive data and all sheets that don't touch upon this question - and I have drafted up an XL file with fake data - the original data comes from a database as you see, involving several tables - but that doesn't matter, does it?

In case there is an element missing that you need to fully understand where my problem lies, just tell me.

P.P.S.: Right now, there is a condition causing that diagram to never be calculated at all - that is of course only temporary - I had to include it, otherwise I would have spent much more time because it really takes ages every time I open the page with this diagram.

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The attached document as section access implemented..

cant open the doc without the creds...

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

O_O - yes, you're right.

The HR_app is extremely sensitive, so I password-protected it. I will attach a new version - the same file, only without that protection.

O_O - it seems I deleted the hidden script where that protection was prematurely and now I cannot take it off. Let's see...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: Oh - I give up. There seems to be some trick I don't know. I will just give you the credentials.

- Username: Friedhof

- Password: hpf=++f

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I just realized that in the file I attached there are a few things broken. Sorry, my mistake, I did that in a hurry. Since this is a really stubborn problem, I will now invest a little more time in preparing some sample data and qvw and at the same time check all the individual parts of my calculation. More often than not, that already leads to the solution...

If not, I will be back shortly and attach a qvw that really works - and hopefully still establishes the same problem - and an xls file with the corresp. data

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: I just realize - that formula is made up of three individual calculations, every one of which has a result with 7 or 8 decimals. Can that be a reason for the calculation being very sluggish?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I have now put together new sample data. Just like I thought, this new qvw does not have a problem and executes nice and quick. I'm puzzled. I will now check all the individual parts of my original formulas just like I did here.

Maybe someone here can give me a hint conc. what might be the issue.

In original, the data comes from two different tables in a database. Other than that, everything works pretty much the same.

The creds are still in place, still

- Friedhof

- hpd=++f

Thanks a lot!

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

I just don't get it.

I did the same thing now for my original qvw and I introduced a few num() functions within the formulas - and every formula for itself (every one of the two that are in this app) executed reasonably fast.

Now I put the diagram back together - I copy-pasted the formulas I had just put together in their respective places and activated the whole thing - and I'm right back with the problem I had before. The diagram again takes ages to load...

Can someone here help me, please?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

it seems I have found a "solution", if not very elegant - and I still don't know why it didn't work in the first place which is really annoying...

I have now just copy-pasted both of the entire formulas into variables. I just display the variables in the diagram.

That does not really change anything, but it takes away the load from the diagram. Well, it works...