Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psankepalli
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

(' Q ' )dimension in Single Quotation at script. why?

Everyone,

I was wondering, why do we mention dimension in dimensions in ' ' (Single Quotation)? what is the reason for that?

Example:

'Q' & Ceil (rowno()/3) as Quarter 

Thanks

Prasanna

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

... and if your question rather concerns why single quotes are used, then the answer is that single quotes are used for strings and double quotes are used for field references. See more on QlikView Quoteology

HIC

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Represent Quarter, we use this notation: This 'Q' will get append to your Ceil() return Value.....

Why do we mention? Very simple answer: To make it user readable & more friendly so that any one who is accessing the QV dashboard will understand that this is Quarter

psankepalli
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thank you for your reply. I was looking for any other logic behind that?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Not sure what kind of logic you're looking for other than readability? Or are you asking about more than the 'Q', and more about quarters in general? I'm typically not trying to compare, say, Q1 in two different years, but rather see a quarterly trend that may extend across years. So I don't find "Q1" very useful, and prefer "Q1 2016". But that doesn't sort by the text, and I prefer anything date-like to be an actual date anyway. So I use this:

,dual('Q' & ceil(month([Date])/3) & ' ' & year([Date]),quarterstart([Date])) as [Quarter]

In your script, apparently each row is a month, and so rowno() is probably equivalent to my month([Date]).

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

... and if your question rather concerns why single quotes are used, then the answer is that single quotes are used for strings and double quotes are used for field references. See more on QlikView Quoteology

HIC