cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QLIKVIEW vs ETL

Hi community,

QLIKVIEW can be considered as an ETL?

ETL means Extract-Transform-Load. It is a platform known well by the Computer scientist.

Thank you.

17 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I think QlikView have a ETL process included!!!!!!!!!!

Not applicable
Author

How it works??

Please can you explain me the process please???

Thank

llauses243
Creator III
Creator III

HI ,

for me qv is ETM (extract+transform+memory)

based in AQL is key and simple the use of the memory machine, like excel but with very much facility

"to domain the memory is has productivity"

qv is revolutionary ¡

Luis

Not applicable
Author

This subject depends about the conception from a each user....ETL.....for me....is everything when you take some data....and manipule.....from load.....to works to your application....

When you select something, load a data....is ETL.....

But i agree and understand a Ilauses thought!!!!!!

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Well, I know what ETL is, but I honestly have no idea what you're asking, unless it's just something trivial like:

"Can QlikView extract, transform and load data?"

In which case the answer is a trivial:

"Of course. How ELSE can you have reports?"

As far as how it does it, you write a script. That script can extract data from various data sources. You can and I typically do transform the data, from manipulating fields to building entirely different data structures than the source. Finally, the results are... well, they're already in memory at that point, no additional load necessary, so I can understand Luis's decision to call it ETM instead of ETL. But really, it's conceptually all the same thing.

But I do think I'm misunderstanding your questions. Because surely with over 100 posts you've written some QlikView script to extract, transform and load some data before? It just seems so fundamental to what QlikView IS as to be difficult to miss.

Not applicable
Author

John,

your answer surprises me, since you are obviously experienced and very vocal on this site. I don't think you gave a straight answer, rather a pedantic one that misrepresented the product.

My limited personal experience with the product coupled with answers from both the sales and technical team during our proof of concept and our trainer, point to a different conclusion. QlikView is only suitable for light ETL or to put it another way QlikView is a bad ETL tool. I believe that QlikView have chosen to gloss over this with deliberate half truths. I'm specifically referring to their web page "QlikView and your data" with the section "Beyond traditional ETL - Add value not redundancy". Paraphrasing, they state that traditional BI requires ETL followed by cube building. They then state that due to Qlikview's in-memory architecture, cubes are not required and infer that neither is ETL since "data simply needs to be moved in to memory". I agree about the cubes. I disagree about most of the ETL data preparation leading up to the time of cube construction. I see this as a deliberate half truth from QlikView. They go on to say that "qlikView can aggregate and calculate in real-time". So what? What I interpret this as is, QlikView can aggregate and calculate good data intermingled with transactional garbage in real time.

My conclusion which was agreed with grudgingly by the senior sales person on site is that the most efficient way to develop an overall QlikView solution is to perform a separate ETL stage before the data is fed to QlikView. QlikView is not an efficient way to do the many ETL tasks (even though some of them may be achieveable in an inefficient manner). It is not reasonable to expect users to access raw transactional data, use QlikView and produce totals that agree with existing reports (which may incorporate multiple complex business rules).

I'd be interested to hear your further input on this matter.

bismart
Creator
Creator

Qlikview is the best ETL tool I have encountered over many years as a BI consultant...

I have used DTS, SSIS, Cognos Framework Manager , amongst others, over the last few years and the Qlikview functionality contained within the Qlikview scripts allows ETL activity to be performed in the fraction of the time of the other ETL tools mentioned.

No more cubes.. easy way of creating staging QVD files which feed into final apps, Easily and quickly modified etc etc etc

Qlikview blows everything else in the ETL environment out of the water

Not applicable
Author

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I think the misunderstanding is caused by a lot of new users expecting Qlikview to include a pre-built ETL application to easily set up and manage. This is not the case. You have to built it yourself - which in Qlikview is fairly simple. But it does take some basic knowledge to make it run efficiently.

Not applicable
Author

@gerryhorgan, I have to disagree.

QV is very capable of creating complex scalable ETL solutions. However if the ETL data is to be shared in other applications outside of QV, then the ETL belongs in another system. Many companies will create a data mart layer that can be reused across the enterprise.

FWIW: I've been working in the ETL space for 12+ years, QV does ETL just fine.