Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
varunreddy
Creator III
Creator III

QVD file is being shown in Notepad format

Hi Guys,

I have tried to open QVD with Notepad and my QVD file is showing in the form of HTML in notepad. Is there a way I can change the format back. I am unable to extract data from that notepad.

Can anyone help me

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Varun

swuehl

sunny

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

QVD files have an xml header, which is what you will be seeing that looks like html.

The data itself is not stored in human readable format, so you won't be able to read it using a text editor like notepad.

I only read data from QVD files using QlikView/Sense as that is what they were designed to be read by.

What are you trying achieve ?

varunreddy
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I am trying to extract data from QVD. While I was trying to extract selecting QVD, I am getting zero rows. But the QVD has 40,000 rows.

This is how it is showing

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would guess you unfortunately have a corrupt qvd file.

sunny_talwar

Can you not recreate your QVD by running the application that created the QVD in the first place?

varunreddy
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Even after deleting the existing QVD file and rerun the QV file, I am getting the QVD in notepad format.

sunny_talwar

As per my knowledge, your only option is to download EasyQlik QViewer and associate a qvd with this program

EasyQlik QViewer - viewer for QVD files

sunny_talwar

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could elaborate on what you mean by "getting the QVD in notepad format." ?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I don't understand a thing of this discussion.

I only know that a STORE statement like this:

STORE table INTO DQIM_Metrics.QVD (txt);

will create a comma-separated-value file with a QVD extension. That may be why the file won't be recoqnized as a QVD when you try to load it in the Script Editor. Try with the "Delimited" file type, and see what you get in the import dialog.

On the other hand, saying that the content looks like HTML may mean that there is indeed XML content in the QVD file. As Bill already explained, a QVD file has an XML header that documents the fields and content details of the QVD. Because you say that you cannot import the "QVD" file as a QVD-formatted file, this leads me to think that there is only XML or HTML data in this file. Did you try a Script Editor import with these  file types checked? They are available immediately above and below the QVD radio button...

There is no such thing as a Notepad file format. A notepad icon in Windows Explorer means that your file associations have gone haywire. Windows doesn't recognize files based on their content. That's a Unix thing.

It would be a big help if you could post a screenshot of Notepad with this so-called QVD loaded.

Peter