cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richardpayne
Creator
Creator

QVW Metadata - Entries missing from Lineageinfo

I am reading all QVWs in our production environment as XML and doing a simple where-used on the QVDs which contain our section access field security definitions. In all cases, the security QVD is loaded in the hidden script.

Some QVWs do not show the security QVDs in the LineageInfo table. I can't seem to see why. Is there a setting I need to check on the QVWs? Between those that show the QVD in the XML and those that do not, the hidden scripts and document security properties seem to be consistent.

14 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

Can you post an example?

Can only think that either there is something wrong with the Section Access .... Section Application or that probably some info is written into hidden section of the script.

richardpayne
Creator
Creator
Author

I will look into generating some test cases and hopefully I can recreate the problem. I have to alter the documents due to sensitive data.

The section access is consistent between them and, as I mentioned, all security QVD references exist in the hidden scripts of these QVWs. My initial question is trying to understand where I need to look for inconsistencies between the documents because offering samples here requires that I alter them for public consumption.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

To my knowledge, hidden script does not generate <LineageInfo> elements.  To clarify, are you saying that you have hidden script that is generating <LineageInfo> elements for QVDs that are referenced in the hidden script?  Is that same QVD being loading again outside the hidden script?

-Rob

richardpayne
Creator
Creator
Author

Absolutely, yes. Some of my QVWs show the QVD loaded in the hidden script to be in the Lineageinfo. The QVD shown from the hidden script is not referenced anywhere else in the documents script. Since the QVDs in question are for section access, they are loaded within the hidden script.

richardpayne
Creator
Creator
Author

Attached is an example. This proves Lineageinfo is pulled from hidden script.

Password for hidden script is "password".

I do not appear to be able to recreate the issue where the hidden script is *not* included in Lineageinfo. I'm eager to know how I can make this information consistently available in documents which use section access QVDs in a hidden script.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I see your example is QV11.20.  QV12 changed the rules to suppress <LineageInfo> from hidden script. I've attached your sample loaded in V12 to demonstrate this.

Why in V11, you sometimes see the lineage info, sometimes not?  There are some odd behaviors around LineageInfo having to do with dropping tables and a couple of other quirks. Perhaps that is the source of your inconsistency.

In any event, the technique won't work at all once you go to QV12. .

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

richardpayne
Creator
Creator
Author

Got it. Any recommendation of how to do a "where used" of our section access QVDs? Are we destined to maintain it manually in a spreadsheet?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The question I would ask is: What is the reason to build your Section Access in the hidden script?  Can you build it in the normal script?

-Rob

richardpayne
Creator
Creator
Author

"We've always done it that way."

Our initial implementation consultants suggested it, so it became standard. Early on, we also shared some development with users who wanted to design their own dashboards.