cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjsellers57
Contributor II
Contributor II

QVWs that drive other QVWs

I have a large application with 1/2 billion records that handles multiple Customer and Accounts.  Currently I am only pulling in 5 Customers and their related account information and separate their tab access with Section Access Security.  The Application is accessed through a WEB based interface selecting the URL and section access table sets the security, so others can see only their customer/account information.  As I continue to build in additional customer/account base the app becomes less efficient.  My thought is to create multiple QVW group keeping app small.  But still have a single URL as the access point.  The Section Access table would include the app that contains the customer/account information and the app to select.  The main QVW with the selected by the URL would just have all the section access information including which app to open dynamically to select.  Does that sound doable?

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I suppose this could work. But I don't see the added value. Users will have to take an extra action to get to the right qlikview document. Since they will have only access to the qlikview document that contains their customers data and not the other qlikview documents they won't see the other documents anyway if you set up section access correctly. Why not let them go to the access point directly and let them open the only document they need and have access to?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
bjsellers57
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for the quick response. We are talking external customers access through a WEB site access URL and not Access Point, there is other added security involved. In additions we could be potentially looking at 200-300 customer, which is a lot of selections in Access Point as well

Bernie Sellers

Analytical Consultant

(p)410.884.2182

(c)240-818-2635

Gysbert_Wassenaar

They'll have to authenticate themselves on the Access Point anyway. And if you set up section access then each customer will only see one document, not 300. They won't need to select anything since there is no choice to make other then open the only visible document or don't open it.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

In addition to what Gysbert said about doing the right thing, the QlikView Publisher supports a distribution features called "Loop and Reduce" that will create a subdocument with user-specific data from a main document containing everything. The distribution will further make sure that users only have access to their own document. But things like data reduction and forwarding are all taken care of during distribution, before the document is even opened for the first time.

Peter

bjsellers57
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

We have two builds an Internal build used by internal customers accessed through Access Point, then an External app that does a binary load from the internal app which does not show up in Access Point. There is other added security for external customers that need to authentic through the Firewall and to call on the external application in particular. The external customer never sees Access Point.

Bernie Sellers

Analytical Consultant

(p)410.884.2182

(c)240-818-2635