Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Qlik Sense Custom Color by Dimension expression

Hello

I've got a stacked bar chart with two dimensions (First, Second) and one measure (Measure).

The chart's second dimension (Second) is specified by an expression and is based on the value of a variable:

fx = if ($(myVar)=1, [DimensionX], [DimensionY])

For the coloration I would like the colors to be based on the value(s) of the active dimension; ie, I need to dynamically color by dimension.

Under the Colors setting I chose Custom > By Dimension and specified the above expression in the Dimension expression box.

This does not work. All of the colors turn to gray!

Some observations from playing around:

• specifying either [DimensionX] or [DimensionY] alone in the Dimension expression box displays colors, but obviously only when myVar is set to match the value I've specified there.  Since I need to dynamically switch between them, this is not a solution.
  • it appears that anything in the expression box other than just [DimensionX] or [DimensionY] fails. For example the expression: if(true(),[DimensionX]) fails even when myVar=1.
  • if there is anything (including whitespace!!!) either before or after the [DimensionX], that fails too.
  • It's like they put an expression editor in the Custom Colors By Dimension setting, but you're not supposed to put an expression in it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

I've consulted with Qlik support. They've verified that it's a bug in Qlik and has been addressed in the latest version.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi Steven, color by expression expect a color code, ie:

If(ThisYearSales>LastYearSales, Green(), RGB(255,0,0))

In your case:

if ($(myVar)=1, Color1, Color2)

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/November2017/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Colors/color-by-expression.htm

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/November2017/Subsystems/Hub/Content/ChartFunctions/ColorFunctions/...

To keep a color for each dimension value you can try with:

if ($(myVar)=1, Color(FieldIndex('DimensionX', [DimensionX])), Color(FieldIndex('DimensionY', [DimensionY])))

stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Just to be clear, I'm using the expression function under Color by Dimension, not Color by Expression.

fooey.png

And it seems that (at least in this version of QlikSense) anything but a single dimension name; eg [Dimension1], in the expression box causes loss of all color.

rubenmarin

It needs to return only one value and Aggr() can return more than one value, set the expression as:

=if($(myVar)=1, [DimensionX], [DimensionY]) // With the starting '='

This doesn't works?

stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

I agree what you've specified should work. But it doesn't.

The only way I can make it work is if I express it as such:

$(=chr(39)&if(myVar=1,'DimensionX','DimensionY')&chr(39))

Which to me seems like a unnecessarily complicated expression.

rubenmarin

It works for me, have you set the starting '='?

stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

My chart is a little more complicated.  I've modified your example to include an instance of what I'm seeing.

foo2.png

I cannot get proper segment colors to appear without doing what I've described earlier.

Perhaps you can make it work? I appreciate your assistance.

rubenmarin

I tried "=if($(var2)=1,D3,D4)" and seems to work, can you try?

stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Seems to work in this instance, let me apply it to my original application and see.

stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

One final modification: Gave the fields slightly more complex names and qualified them. This is closer to our actual app now.