cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Or
MVP
MVP

QlikView and Bullet Graphs/charts

As most of us know, QlikView does not have native support for Bullet Graphs (as described in Stephen Few's books and website, design document available here ). Workarounds exist for creating a single instance of bullet graphs (described here ), but this is bulky and does not always provide a solution. Unfortunately, it does not appear QlikView plans to add bullet graph functionality (it's not on the QV10 new function list), despite the fact that most of the infrastructure is there (a bullet graph is very similar to the existing gauges, but with an extra fill line).

I wanted to start a discussion with a few related questions:

1) Other than myself, are there (m)any people out there who would like to see bullet graphs implemented in QV?

2) Does anyone have working examples of dashboards using bullet graphs in conjunction with intra-chart gauges? In particular, does anyone have examples overlaying bullet charts on intra-chart gauges with rows wrapped to more than one line?

3) Could someone from QV's R&D chime in with an explanation why this functionality isn't being added, and perhaps an idea of whether we might see it in a future release?

Regards,

Or

13 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Or,

1) I would like to see this implemented simply because I think it would be easy to do and at least in a product comparison arena it is better to see that QV does this - e.g. "List of features: x,y,z, and bullet chart" rather than "x, y, z, hmm you can overlay some charts to create the effect".

2) No examples here however I have never been asked to display data in this way.

3) Is it the case that someone saw the feature request and said no, or maybe we should request this feature?

-QB

Not applicable

This feature has been discussed and it's a good idea to have it in QV. I guess the only problem is that it has not been prioritized for v10.

Or
MVP
MVP
Author

_qlikbox wrote:
3) Is it the case that someone saw the feature request and said no, or maybe we should request this feature?<div></div>

I have made this feature request, and gotten confirmation that it had been received. I haven't heard about it since - it's not on the QV10 feature list and there's no preliminary QV11 list made public, as far as I know. Perhaps if more people made the feature request, it will get pushed up the priority list (as it stands, it might force me to push a project from QV to other software in order to meet client demands for a large amount of bullet graphs)

Not applicable

I agree, a bullet chart conveys a lot of information at a glance - solving the designer's nr1 challenge - screen real estate. This is particularly true to financial statement type data sets where you have actual, budget, previous period, period-to-date all at once, and a simple bar chart is just not enough.

I do hope that someone build an extension in QV10 and share it!

Cheers,

Daniel

Not applicable

Hi Or

I use Google Charts to recreate the bullet graph recommended by Stephen Few.

Create a new Straight Table Chart.

Select any dimension (I created a calculated dimenions of =1 and used the hide column in the presentation tab so that it wouldn't display)

Create your expression by copying and pasting the following code into your Expression:

='http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?&cht=bhs'

& '&chs=' & '150x40' // chart size, width x height in pixels

& '&chco=' & '000000' // chart color for the performance bar, 000000 is html hex code for black

& '&chd=t:' & '55' // chart data - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE LENGTH OF THE PERFORMANCE BAR

& '&chbh=' & '5' // chart horizontal bar height, value in pixels

& '&chm=r,' // chart marker r (for horizontal range)

& '000000' // html hex code

& ',0,' // dummy value that is always ignored

& '0.65' // where the marker starts, 0 is the left, 0.5 is the middle - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE COMPARATIVE MEASURE

& ','

& '0.67' // where the marker ends, 1 is the right - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE COMPARATIVE MEASURE

& ',1' // places the marker on top of the performance bar so that it can be seen

& '|r,'

& 'D3D3D3' // html hex code for the first scale band, D3D3D3 is html hex code for light gray - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE COLOUR OF THE FIRST PERFORMANCE SCALE

& ',0,'

& '0,' // where the scale starts, 0 is the left, 0.5 is the middle - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE START OF THE FIRST PERFORMANCE SCALE

& '0.66' // where the scale ends, 1 is the right - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE END OF THE FIRST PERFORMANCE SCALE

& '|r,'

& 'A9A9A9' // html hex code for the second scale band, A9A9A9 is html hex code for medium gray - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE COLOUR OF THE SECOND PERFORMANCE SCALE

& ',0,'

& '0.66' // where the scale starts, 0 is the left, 0.5 is the middle - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE START OF THE SECOND PERFORMANCE SCALE

& ','

& '0.73' // where the scale ends, 1 is the right - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE END OF THE SECOND PERFORMANCE SCALE

& '|r,'

& '808080' // html hex code for the second scale band, 808080 is html hex code for dark gray - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE COLOUR OF THE THIRD PERFORMANCE SCALE

& ',0,'

& '0.73' // where the scale starts, 0 is the left, 0.5 is the middle - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE START OF THE THIRD PERFORMANCE SCALE

& ','

& '1' // where the scale ends, 1 is the right - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE END OF THE THIRD PERFORMANCE SCALE

& '&chxt=x' // chart axis type, to set labels on the x axis

& '&chxl=0:' & '|0|50|100|150' // chart axis labels, 0 is the data index (there is only one set of data we're graphing) and 0, 50, 100, 150 are the labels - CHANGE THIS TO SET THE AXIS LABELS

& '&chxs=0,000000,8' // chart axis style, 0 is the axis index we're referring to, 000000 is the html hex for the color black and 8 is the font size

Then click show as image (thanks Jochem for pointing that out).

Your horizontal bullet chart is ready. Hope this helps.

Kind regards, Shaun

Not applicable

and then show as image?

Not applicable

In expression panel for Straight Table , go to Display Options. Then choose representation = Image

JJ

Not applicable

i did this but the cell stays empty (white)

can you upload you qvw with this post?

Not applicable

Strange !

Hope it helps to fix your issue.

I'm going to create an application with dynamic variable thanks to the brilliant job of Shaun.

JJ