Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Analyzer Without Server/Enterprise

Hello -

I hope someone can help me with this. Is it possible for an Analyzer version to open up a Qlikview Document without using the Server/Enterprise version?

What I'm trying to do is develop a Qlikview Document, but deploy to end-users only as Analyzer-level so they can just view the document but not do any Professional-level development. We would like to do this without any Server/Enterprise version.

Thanks

-Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes, technically you can do it - I think it's called "Analyzer+", or a "local client". You lose a lot of valuable Server functionality (security, collaboration - just to name a few), but you can certainly do it. I'd only recommend it to very small implementations and when Security is not a big issue.

Oleg

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes, technically you can do it - I think it's called "Analyzer+", or a "local client". You lose a lot of valuable Server functionality (security, collaboration - just to name a few), but you can certainly do it. I'd only recommend it to very small implementations and when Security is not a big issue.

Oleg

Not applicable
Author

Thanks much Oleg. I will definitely ask about that solution.

It definitely will be for a small implementation, just for a few users. My plan is just to have a Qlikview file saved which the users can open. Do you know if there is anyway to setup automatic script running, to reload data every day without the Server version?

Any other warnings, hints or comments on this solution would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

-Mike

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

For this kind of installation, you'd use batch files to reload your data (see QlikView Reference Guide for "command line" interface). This can at times be problematic, but usually works fairly well.

The biggest problem with "local" licenses as opposed to "Client/Server" installation is security - you deliver the documents to your users, and you give them tools to open those documents. If, for example, one of your users quits and goes to work for a competitor (based on a true story!), - there is nothing to prevent him from taking a copy of all your customers, vendors, financials, etc... The local copy of QlikView and the local document will never expire, they just won't reload anymore.

This is the biggest concern. Other than that - you only need to watch the size of your data. It should always be compact enough to be copied to each machine over the network and to be processed on each client computer (large documents would require a server to process the large amounts of data).

hope it helps. Drop me a line if you need more detailed help.

Oleg

Not applicable
Author

By using a hidden script and the access parameter SERIAL, you are able to define that only the QlikView installation with this serial is able to open the qvw file. If you're dealing with a company it's most likely the QlikView installations are distributed by the IT. Therefore, if someone leaves the company he won't take the local IT ressources with him or her. The culprit can make a copy of the qvw file, yes. But it won't open in another installation of QlikView.

Not applicable
Author

I have always found the licencing confusing with Qlikview. I dont think there is any such thing as Analyser+ any more. My understanding is an Analyser licence means a user can access server based documents with the plugin, as well as local documents using the windows client.

I would like to see this confirmed though!

Security and local documents is an issue. Access through defined serial numbers and hidden scripts are a good idea (I have also thought about using 'show sheet' conditioning with dates tests to hide the data after a certain period) but these are 'best attempts' rather than definitive resolutions. I think I will raise a PER to Qliktech and see what happens.

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Thanks everyone. This helps quite a bit.

I will look into the auto scripting to reload data daily. And also I will try to acquire an Analyzer + license or see if simply an Analyzer license will work this way. The problem is we have to go through our Head office to get licenses but they use the Server version so they are not familiar with this solution.

Anyways I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

-Mike

Not applicable
Author

I believe the current state of Analyzer is that you can purchase ~$800 standalone license or have it borrow a ~$1400 server CAL. The plus in Analyzer+ used to be the added ability to read local documents, but now it seems the "added ability" in the marketing is the ability to borrow a server CAL. Confusing.

Not applicable
Author

Just an update for anyone who is interested. QV has a call with me this Friday to discuss solutions. From the short conversation I had with them, it looks like this is possible with the Analyzer + version. I'll confirm the difference between Analyzer and Analyzer +.

My company is planning on doing a small implementation for the short term but may eventually move it to a larger user base. Just curious, can someone give me a rough idea of how much that would cost?

Thanks for the help everyone.

-Mike

Not applicable
Author

Ifound this statement in an email from Qliktech in March 2007:

We used to have an Analyser and Analyser+ variant but now there is only one version. This is called an Analyser but actually has the functionality of the Analyser+.

Mind you, you only have to read the ref manual to see the contradictions and confusion.

Hey QT - how about a definitive response once and for all?

Gordon