cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonoogle
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlikview Desktop crashes PC

This is a problem I have brought up in the past with Qlik Support but never had any action taken and I think it's perhaps the most frustrating aspect of Qlik. Have you ever made a mistake in a load or an expression which causes Qlikview desktop to take up ALL of the CPU of your machine so the only remedy is to reset the PC, since you can't even kill the client? This used to happen to me more frequently; now maybe twice a month. Other than the problem of rebooting, often it also means losing data in other applications which were opened before the crash.

It should be technically possible for Qlik to limit the CPU usage of the desktop client.

Qlik..Please, please, address this problem.

12 Replies
jonoogle
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Just to sort of close out this thread, the official response from Qlik is to look at these two sources, neither of which describes my problem and told that the case would be referred to R&D but there is no remedy to the problem. I guess no one else has this problem or don't use Qlik as we do.

https://qliksupport.force.com/QS_CaseWizardKnowledgeArticle?Id=ka5D00000004R4yIAE

https://qliksupport.force.com/QS_CaseWizardKnowledgeArticle?Id=ka5D00000004QolIAE

genevamoores
Contributor II
Contributor II

I agree that this is one of the MOST FRUSTRATING aspects of Qlik. I have made it a habit of making sure to load new changes to the data model interactively or using debug and to always leave the script dialog open to make sure I can kill the application before saying ok. And we have implemented constraints on most tables to prevent viewing them before making multiple filter selections.

But, these work-arounds do NOT resolve the underlying problem.

I'm not aware of any other development software that I use that has this problem.

I do not have access to either of the two Case articles listed in the end of the thread, but I hope that Qlik will acknowledge and fix this problem.

jonoogle
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

The cases described how Qlik allocates memory during a reload and the information was not pertinent to this problem. Regardless of how it uses memory or machine resources, in no way should a product utilize 100% of the machines resources giving the user no chance to even kill the process.