Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview server sizing

Hi,

We are developing our QV application and we will be deploying it on the production server. We have the following details:

1. Total QVD files - Around 60

2. File Size - 1 to 1.5 GB

3. Total users - 80

4. Concurrent users - 10 - 15 users

Suggested h/w 2 CPU, 64 GB RAM on Windows 2003 Server. Can we know what should be the ideal configuration for the same and if any of the documents are available with QlikTech which helps to estimate the hardware configuration. Please advice.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Well, this isn't from QlikTech, but:

http://www.dbms2.com/2010/06/12/the-underlying-technology-of-qlikview/

Specifically:

"•QlikTech recommends 2-4 gigabytes of compressed data per core. QlikTech says 10X is a good rule of thumb for compression, although it sounded like that's a little (not a lot) on the high side when compared simply to raw data.
•QlikTech further recommends RAM amounting to another 10% of data size be set aside for each concurrent user (e.g., for cache). However, Hakan said that's really too pessimistic, and in most cases 5% would suffice."

Based on that, I'd say you have more than enough RAM, but might benefit from a quad core machine instead of a dual core machine.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Well, this isn't from QlikTech, but:

http://www.dbms2.com/2010/06/12/the-underlying-technology-of-qlikview/

Specifically:

"•QlikTech recommends 2-4 gigabytes of compressed data per core. QlikTech says 10X is a good rule of thumb for compression, although it sounded like that's a little (not a lot) on the high side when compared simply to raw data.
•QlikTech further recommends RAM amounting to another 10% of data size be set aside for each concurrent user (e.g., for cache). However, Hakan said that's really too pessimistic, and in most cases 5% would suffice."

Based on that, I'd say you have more than enough RAM, but might benefit from a quad core machine instead of a dual core machine.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John,

we will look into it.

Regards,

Kingshuk

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Kingshuk,

Here's an Excel a QlikTech consultant once sent me for QlikView Server sizing.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Carl,

I will look into the document.

Regards,

Kingshuk

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Here's a load simulator. Its reasonably involved but play around and you will get the idea. Note that the number of qvd's is not really what drives your hardware requirements but rather the number and size of the .qvw's that you expose to users...as well as the number of concurrent users.

klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II

John,

Do you know what they mean by 2-4 GB of compressed data per core? 

Should I read that as a 20GB QVW (theoretic size) could be run with 2.2GB of RAM?  20GB / 10x compression =2GB*1.1=2.2GB 

We are running into quite a performance issue on QVW files less than 800MB. Users are reporting extreme load times and general sluggishness. We are also running into files taking 4-5 hours to reload and often timing out.

Just grasping at straw here, I know, but we are getting desperate for any advise that could help us understand why we are seeing these performance issues.

QV Version: 10SR3 x64

Server:

Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64 (Virtualized VM ESX server)

192GB RAM

8 CPUs

QlikView users: 210+

QlikView applications: 250+

QlikView application size: 13GB

Largest QlikView application size: 1GB

Not applicable
Author

Klaus, We are having similar issues as the one you are describing.  We are currently on V 10.0.9282 running on 2 servers with 8cores and 64GB RAM.   What did you end up doing to resolve your issue?  Thanks Scott

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for sharing the doc. Do you have the same information on publisher. Tx.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

How I measure the queries/min, the simulation type and the complexity of the application?

Any guide for this Simulator?

Thanks!!!