cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richnorris
Creator II
Creator II

Random selection made on reload?

I'm having a strange issue, I was wondering if anyone knew of any bugs or any functionality that could be contributing?

Basically we have a dashboard that is refreshed with a batch script. It copies a file and renames it, refreshes it, then renames it again and moves it to a live folder. We have some functionality that the dashboard does a different thing based on the name of the file, hence the double renaming.

With qlikview 8.5 this worked fine with no issues, however it seems that now we've moved to QV10, sometimes, after it has refreshed, the first time you log in to the dashboard, a lot of the charts are showing something different to what you would expect to see, as though some selection is made. However, nothing is showing in the current selections box. Whats more, if you hit 'clear' then it reverts to what you would be expecting to see when you log in to a fresh dashboard. It then wont do this again on subsequent logins. This isn't usually an issue, as as soon as someone starts to make selections it will start showing what they want to see, and no one is especially interested in looking at the dashboard in its natural clear state, so generally its not a problem.

The problem is, that it seems that sometimes, it is making a selection of data that only admin users can see. What happens then is that no non-admin users can log in to the dashboard. Clearing the selection can't fix this, as it appears that the selection is occuring before the document saves, so it has been saved in a state that only admin users may log into.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I don't think that it does this if you don't use the script, but its pretty hard to tell.

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi RichNorris,

this sounds pretty hard to debug except one has encountered a similar behaviour before (not me).

I think it would be more thatn good if you could go a bit deeper into details, like

-  "We have some functionality that the dashboard does a different thing based on the name of the file, hence the double renaming."

- Do you use any triggers on document open or something like this?

- You are saying that in certain circumstances, no admin user can login, right? I assume you are using section access with data reduction set, could you tell as a bit more about that?

- Maybe you could post your script / part of script here?

Regards,

Stefan

richnorris
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hey Stefan,

Yeah, we have one trigger when the dashboard loads, but all it does is set a variable to either $ or £. The functionality of the renaming is just that if it is named one thing, it only does a partial load. Its so that we can run a debug version quickly just by renaming the file.

I could go into how our security works, but I don't feel it is relevant. I could remove any kind of section access, and the problem still occurs, in so much as we still get random selections post refresh. It only exhibits itself as a real problem when it interacts with the security.

I can't really post any script, as I wouldn't know what part of the script to post that could be relevant! Appreciate your help, sorry if I sound obtuse, but you're right, there's no easy way to debug it and I'm not really looking to on here, I was more sort of hoping someone might have heard about something similar to give me a lead.

richnorris
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hey, wondering if anyone had any ideas about this? Sorry for the necro but I posted this just before the boards got spammed with that fellah's out of office note and I think it got buried!