Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunny_talwar

RecNo vs. RowNo

Instead of flooding an existing post, I thought it would make sense to start a new one. Here is a sample script with RecNo() and RowNo() in Preceding Load and Resident Load giving different outputs.

Table:

LOAD RecNo,

RowNo;

LOAD RecNo() as RecNo,

RowNo() as RowNo

AutoGenerate 10;

Table2:

LOAD RecNo() as RecNo2,

RowNo() as RowNo2

AutoGenerate 10;

Table3:

NoConcatenate

LOAD RecNo2,

RowNo2

Resident Table2;

DROP Table Table2;

Output:

Capture.PNG

My confusion is -> Why does RowNo() doesn't work in the preceding load when it does work in Resident Load.

swuehlMRKachhiaIMP

Best,

Sunny

4 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Source : Mastering QlikView Book

This is because the RowNo() function only returns correctly in the top loader of a preceding load. It must be like this because each preceding load can have its own Where clause that can modify the number of rows loaded. Only at the topmost load do we actually know that a row is loaded.

Table1:

Load

RowNo1 as RowNo2,

RowNo() As RowNo3;

Load

RowNo() As RowNo1

Inline

[

Field1

A

B

C

D

];

So, here only the topmost load will have RowNo(), so only RowNo3 will give you expected result..

sunny_talwar
Author

But my confusion is that why does it work in a Resident Load and not in Preceding Load. Isn't Preceding Load and Resident Load mostly similar? Why will it work in one and not in the other?

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

No it's different.

Please read answer of Jose Maria from the link provided by stefen...

In Resident Load the 2nd table is loaded only after the first table fully loaded.

In Preceding Load the 1st Table's 1st line loaded which is now being used by Preceding Load before the 1st table's 2nd line getting load.

Hope this would make your doubt clear.