Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkSimonovic
Contributor
Contributor

Recover Expression from Corrupt QVW File

Hello Everyone, Yesterday I got "Corrupted File" when I was trying to open my app, after search and try a lot of thing I just gave up and started over, I could recover the script file so I'm creating the sheets from bottom. My question, there is any way to recover some of the expressions I used in that corrupted file? Some of them were a little bit complicate and I don't remember very well how I can make it work.

Thank you! Have a nice day!

Labels (4)
4 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could try to open the qvw with an editor like notepad++ and on the end of the file are the various objects/variables listed. If you could remember some essential parts of your sheet/object-names and your wanted expresions you could find them quite quickly with CTRL + F. If not it's rather an ugly job to find all the needed content.

... maybe there is somewhere a backup, for example from the windows shadow copies ...

- Marcus

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

To what Marcus is referring is the meta data of the QVW file, and that is human readable information, so if you can get the QVW opened in NotePad++ and scroll down toward the end of the file, you should see the meta data and to Marcus' point, hopefully you can find those expressions to save yourself some time.  

The only other thing of which I could think was to try to use the option to open the file without data, which I do not know if you tried or not.  

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2018/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Starting_Qli...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
MarkSimonovic
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank u for your answer guys, Saldy I didn't have Shadow copy activated by that moment, I tried even open the file without data and didn't work. So I just had to lose 2 days of work and make it all again from scratch. Now I just activated the shadow copy just to be save.

Thank you, Cheers!

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Do not forget about User Preferences in your Desktop Client as well on the Save tab, you can set automatic backups and stuff there, so that may not be a bad thing to help ensure you have a readily accessible backup if something goes wrong again.  Sorry could not do better for you this time round.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.