Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Relative merits of nested if statement in one column, or multiple columns with conditional shows

Hi All,

One of my business users likes his excel, so wants all output within QV to be in tables. OK, no problem if that's what he wants!

The requirements do require different values being displayed per column based on a set of input parameters he wants to specify. For example he can choose the following to get the exact data set he wants. These are all specified using an input box and variables:

ElementAllowed valuesComments
Service/Booking

Service;

Booking

Defines if values are selected based on the date the hotel was booked, or when the guest is staying
Date Range

YTD;

MTD

Is he looking for Year-to-date or month-to-date of service/booking dates
Show 2014 Values

Yes;

No

Used for conditional display to show the previous years figures
Dimension

Client;

Destination;

Sales Hierarchy;

Top Cities;

Top Hotels

Controls which of the dimensions of the pivot tables are displayed using conditionals on the dimensions

In my columns I then use nested if statements in order to execute the correct calculation. For example, in [Sales (EUR)] my expression is:

=if (vRange = 'YTD',

if (vDateType = 'Service',

sum($(vServiceCURYTDCriteria)SALESPRICEEUR),

sum($(vBookingCURYTDCriteria)SALESPRICEEUR)

),

if (vRange = 'MTD',

sum($(vServiceCURMTDCriteria)SALESPRICEEUR),

sum($(vBookingCURMTDCriteria)SALESPRICEEUR)

),

if (vRange = 'WTD',

sum($(vServiceCURWTDCriteria)SALESPRICEEUR),

sum($(vBookingCURWTDCriteria)SALESPRICEEUR)

)

)

)

)

I store my Set Analysis criteria in variables, as they are reused throughout the application and it makes it much easier to make changes in one place. I have 31 columns in total in this table, all of which follow the above pattern.

I hope this isn't some border case, and that actually this kind of requirement is fairly common!

So, after all that my question is: Are there any best practices defined on how to handle a requirement like this? Would I be better creating a separate column in my chart for each of the end-results above (so 6 columns instead of 1, giving me a total of 186 columns) and then using a conditional show to make sure the correct columns are displayed; or even breaking this down into multiple charts and using a conditional show at the chart level?

Have others encountered this kind of requirement? How have you approached it?

Thanks,

Rory.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Read this blog post: How Not to Choose an Expression | Qlikview Cookbook

Also, instead of nested if statements you can also use a pick-match combination which will probably perform better.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Read this blog post: How Not to Choose an Expression | Qlikview Cookbook

Also, instead of nested if statements you can also use a pick-match combination which will probably perform better.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

OK, so I've pretty much done the worst thing I could.

Right, time to get fixing. Thanks for the link Gysbert.

Rory.