Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III

SVN AllProperties.xml

Hi there,

We recently implemented SVN Tortoise source control and as part of our first check-in with multiple developers we have found that for the most part things work pretty well. My question to you is how do you know what to accept in the AllProperties.XML file between the version that is checked in and your working copy? Most of the other file conflicts are easy to figure out what to keep but this file seems to return a lot of code that isnt easy to decipher.

Thoughts?

5 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well, at least the Group definitions, Variable definitions and Field properties should be saved. Don't really know about the others. Note that many of the attributes are set to default vlaues, so the number of really tricky or unreadable conflicts may be limited.

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for the reply Peter.

Do you see yourself just always accepting the new AllProperties.XMl or are you review each conflict? a lot of the time I see things that just doesn't make sense as to which one to keep. It is a string of characters that aren't words so it is hard to know which one should be kept.

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Anybody have any thoughts here?

Really need to understand when to accept which of the binary code changes between theirs and Mine. Accepting the wrong stuff certainly will break the application (found out the hard way) so I need to understand when to keep what from the Binary code that is in the AllProperties.XML file.

fwsuperhero
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i've got the same problem.

Cryptic part of AllProperties.XML makes merging / versioning very unclear.

Have you advanced in your observation somehow?

cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi there.

Sorry for the delay as I am just seeing this message today.

I haven't advanced much. I learned that those cryptic lines of code are stored in "base64" so I have been able to take chunks of code and decrypt it so that I see what has changed. This will help to let you know what lines to keep in theory but I havent actually had to do this yet. You can find tools online that will convert base64 but if you have notepad++ on your machine (recommend for many reasons) it can also do this for you.

Good luck!