Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III

Section Access - Not asking for UserId

Hi guys.

I would like my users to get a prompt asking them for a password to open a QlikView document.

I've written something like this:

SECTION Access;
LOAD * INLINE [
ACCESS, NTNAME, PASSWORD
USER, MyDomain\MyUser1, 1234
USER, MyDomain\MyUser2, 0012
];

SECTION Application;

If I run this and try to open the document, I get two prompts: 1) Asking for User Id, 2) Asking for Password. Since I haven't used the UserId field, it lets me open the document if the password is right (no matter what I type in the UserId prompt, I could even leave it empty).

I need Qlikview to ask for a password, not userid-password. Just one prompt, not two.

I've used the NTNAME field because we need to perform this validation too. Only those NTnames listed here will be allowed to open the document. I think this part is correct.

Is there any way to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

you can do it another way...

- let everybody access the qvw file

- hide all sheets (by variable vAccessGranted = 0 or 1) except first one

- on the first sheet past two inputboxes

- first is shown when domain is right - into this input box user paste password (if it will be wrong close the                document by macro, if will be good change vAccessGranted = 1     so all the sheets get visible)

- second will be shown when domain will be wrong - here users could paste PIN  (use the same technique as above)

it is not a seccion access but in small amount of data and small set of users could work;)

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Not applicable

There shouldn't be a reason to have the PASSWORD field in there as well. With NTNAME, windows will take care of all identification of the user. Especially since you don't want to have passwords visible, even in hidden script.

So anyone who isn't on your specified list will get an "Access Denied" prompt when trying to open to document.

ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I agree with you, ethanjbeau, passwords shouldn't be hardcoded in the script. But we don't want to ask users for their Windows password.

Users will be validated with NTNAME, so anyone who isn't listed there won't be able to open the document. We want to get an extra level of security, by providing every user a password (like a pincode, for example, 1234). So one person will be allowed to open the document if:

1) His NTNAME is listed in the script and

2) He knows the pincode that we will give them.

Any possibility to ask for that password/pincode without asking for UserId?

Thank you!

Not applicable

just add an extra row:

SECTION Access;
LOAD * INLINE [
ACCESS, NTNAME, PASSWORD
USER, MyDomain\MyUser1, 1234
USER, MyDomain\MyUser2, 0012

USER, *, password
];

SECTION Application;

ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I've tried that, Pari Pari, but it keeps asking for UserId when I open the document (after refreshing, of course ).

I don't understand what the purpose of that line would be. Allowing every NTNAME? I don't want that, I need a double check: 1) NTNAME must be in the list and 2) User must know the password.

Thanks.

Not applicable

small question: you want a data reduction or just checking an acess by username (to all the data)?

ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I don't want data reduction, just checking access by NTName and password.

Thanks.

Not applicable

you can do it another way...

- let everybody access the qvw file

- hide all sheets (by variable vAccessGranted = 0 or 1) except first one

- on the first sheet past two inputboxes

- first is shown when domain is right - into this input box user paste password (if it will be wrong close the                document by macro, if will be good change vAccessGranted = 1     so all the sheets get visible)

- second will be shown when domain will be wrong - here users could paste PIN  (use the same technique as above)

it is not a seccion access but in small amount of data and small set of users could work;)

sridhar240784
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

If i understood your question properly, leaving blank as USERID will help to achieve this.

Check the below Example.

Section Access;

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS, NTNAME,USERID,PASSWORD

USER, E1234,,1

];

Section Application;

Hope this helps you.

-Sridhar

ramonarcusa36
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Pari Pari:

Is there any way to show asterisks in the Inputbox instead of the actual password that you're typing? If we can't do that, I think we couldn't go this way, because passwords would be visible while the user is typing.

And can I set the focus in the Inputbox so the user doesn't have to click it before typing?

Sridhar Ethiraj:

I already tried that. It keeps showing the UserId prompt. I need to get only one prompt asking for password.

Thank you guys! We're almost getting it!