Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access Removes Outer Join Effect ?

hi Everyone,

I have a dashbaord which has years and months as list boxes. I want to show several years and all months as availble selections like any onther dashboard. This works fine so far When I put in basic section access so a user only sees activity realting to himself, all months and years where no activity exist for that person are removed. So in the case of a month list box - a user with activity for just July for example, will have all other months removed form the list boxes - not grayed out but physiclaly removed making the list boxes look odd.

This on one hand seems logical as section access is designed to do this i.e. remove data unrelated to the user. In essence though I only want data from the Fact table removed via Section Access but it is applying it accross the model and reducting dimensions also.

Q. do I need to create an Island Calendar table to work around this - if so will this have an impact on performance - my current set analysis defintions are very fast currently on large data setes e.g. 20 million records. Perhaps there is a way to keep certain tables immune to section access at the script level ?

Q. Presumably this problem occurs for anyone using Section Access - is there a better way to solve the challenge ?

thanks in advance !

DH

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

here is the question in a more simplified way - is it possible to add section access to just some tables but not all ? I want to see all years and months in my list boxes even though I have activity for a subset of that.

thanks for any possible thoughts on this

DH

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I don't believe section access will allow you to do that however you could add a dummy record to the end of the table that has just the year and a value in the key field that all users have access to.

Hope that helps,

Josh

Not applicable
Author

Josh

appreciate suggestion. Yes that works - I have set that up already although I need to see year/month/day for 2 years so an extra 730 records approx. Was hoping that QV would have a more elegant solution. The reason I find it odd  that it is not part of the product is that Section Access is a big selling point and so too is the associative nature of  QV. Section access though immediately takes away the elegance of the associatve functionality imo.It changes a full outer join to a strict equi join. Selective Secton Access is what I need but your work around or an island table with a bunch of triggers are my only options for now it seems.

thanks again for thoughts though - much appreciated

DH

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Several years down the line, this persists. Is there a way to have section access in place and yet make the outer joins work (other than the extra records workaround, since that isn't an option at my end)?

Rgds,

Benazir