Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access on document snapshot

Hi all,

We currently take a snapshot of our main Sales app every month end and it is saved off to the QV Server (from Publisher).

The Sales app has Section Access for our AD users

My issue is that a new Finance user now needs to view the historic snapshots, but because he only joined recently, he cannot view them due to the section access feature.

Is there any way around this issue?

As far as I am aware, I cannot update or change the snapshot QVWs as it will affect the data

Thanks,

Ciaran

7 Replies
ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

You just need to add new finance user to QlikView application (Snapshot) and reload it. Place the same in other directory then that of your current directory inorder to overlap or data mis match.

Hope it helped.

Regards

ASHFAQ

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

If you have not disallowed binary loads, you could binary load this document and reapply amended the section access table. If you cannot do a binary load, but you have the source QVDs, you may be able to reload the history from QVD files with the amended section access table. Either way, you will need to write some script and test that the history has not been changed by the update.

Back up the current history before you start with this!

You could add an AD functional group to the section access. In that case you just need to add the user to the functional group (or remove them if they should no longer have access).

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

If you were using AD groups then all you would have to do is add the new user to the correct group. This is always better than using user ID's.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

I regret not using groups... 🙂

Cheers,

Ciaran

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

I think I have totally snookered myself here...

The snapshots have reload disabled upon distribution.  I am not yet familiar with Binary load.  I assume disabling the reload does not give me this option?

QVDs are overwritten 😞

My only other thought is to allow the new user to open an IE session using the profile of a user who has been with us from the start (and has since left).

I would love to get a proper QV solution so if you have any other thoughts, let me know...

Thanks,

Ciaran

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ashfaq,

I am unable to reload as this feature is turned off on the app once it distributes to the server...

Even if this option was not tuned off, wouldn't reloading screw up the data in the snapshot?

Thanks,

Ciaran

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Ciaran,

I don't know of a way to allow that user to access the old data, without giving them someone else login.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.