Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section access and data reduction

I am currently learning how to work with section access and I have a question about data reduction. As I understand it, it is possible with section access to give the user access to specific parts of the document data according to his userID. An user with administrator rights will always have access to all the data. However I cannot see any difference in behavior if I don't check the "Initial data reduction based on section access". Is it normal or did I miss something? I understand the point of the "initial data reduction" checkbox but I do not understand the goal of implementing a section access defining values of a given field available to a given user without checking the box. Can someone give me some explanation about that?

18 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi George,

Section Access just validates the credentials. For data reduction you should have section application which applies filter on the data model. Section Appplication can have more than one field for data reduction.

Enclosed example on the same. You can open with userid: ADMIN and password: ADMIN

Kiran.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your answer. I understand that section access authorizes the user and how to apply reduction on opening. What confuses me is what is the point of defining reduction values in the section access without checking "apply data reduction on opening". If it is not checked does it make any difference to define reduction values?

Also, once the document is opened, is there a way to know if there was a reduction?

Not applicable
Author

Yes you are right, without selecting that option section application wont work. Only way I can see to find reduction is have a variable to store original record count in the script (so everytime script loads it saves the record count). In the document compute the record count and compare with teh variable.

Regards,

Kiran.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot for your insight!

So a qvw file which does not prompt for a password at opening and its "Initial data reduction based on section access" is uncheked in the document properties then every user will be able to open the file and everyone will get access to all the data?

(I am currently struggling with a problem of "not all users get the same data when opening the same document" on such a file....)

Not applicable
Author

Geogre,

How is the authentication going for your document. What are the credentials you load thru Section Access? Also make sure that all your data as well as fieldnames in Access are in uppercase.

Regards,

Kiran.

Not applicable
Author

There is no authentication (the document opens directly without prompting for an username or password), and the "Initial data reduction based on section access" is unchecked. However the customer tells me that some users do not have access to the whole document data. I suspected it had something to do with section access but it seems impossible without any prompt at document opening.

My question is: "is it possible to have a data reduction applied on the document opening if there is no prompt for the username or password?".

Not applicable
Author

If there is no prompt how would the qvw know who logged in (only QVS has the information)? If you want to do it without prompt, below are the two ways which I use:

1) If you are using NTID authentication both for document access and section access the prompt is not asked when open and automatically data is reduced.

2) If you section access is custom then using query string you can pass the crenditals to open. An example of query string using ieplugin:

"http://localhost/QlikView/DocumentName.qvw?userid=<username>password=<password>"

Kiran

Not applicable
Author

Sorry I forgot to say the document is accessed locally in the QlikView desktop application, and NOT from the network.

Let me sum-up my problem:

1) there is a qvw file which does not give access to the same data for all users opening it.

2) QlikView desktop does not prompt for anything when opening the document, and the document does not have the "initial data reduction" checked.

3) the section access part of the loading script is commented out

What can explain such a behavior? Is it possible that the document was not reloaded after commenting out the section access part of the script, and that section access is based on something like the windows user so that no prompt is required but the reduction occurs nonetheless?

Not applicable
Author

Hmm, still thinking but meanwhile, to check out if the reload happened or not, check out the section application table columns and if its the data model. If its reloaded after commenting it might be filtered.

You can also see if the option "Remember login credentials until qlikview exits" is checked (Under userpreferences->General).

Kiran.