Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Security for Multiple Users

Hi all,

(I'm new to Qlikview so feel free to point me to any reading material at any time. I come from a SQL server background)

I have a model that contains data for multiple offices. I want to use the UserID (that a user logs into the Model with) to limit the data that is displayed to specifc offices.

My approach based on my limited knowledge is to somehow set the default value of my StaffOffice field from staff Dimension to a certain value based on the login id. So basically:

1. Is it possible to reference the UserID that a person logs in with (to variable perhaps)?
  2. Is it possible to set select a defalt value from a dimension and prevent any tampering? For example Using the my Office field from my staff Dimension can I select a value based on some criteria when the model loads (perhaps a macro?)

Any assistance is welcome .... gonna go read up a bit now.

Cheers.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Autorization of users, both for access (application, sheet and object) as for datafiltering, is done bij Section Access and Section Application in the Hidden script of your application. You can read everything about this in your QlikView Reference Manual (page 514, 'Security using the Section Access in the QlikView script').

With this it is possible to:

1. Use the network username to grant access to the application or parts of the application
  2. Add a profile in which you name your dimension and the value per profile

If you have additional questions, just let us know!

Regards, Sander

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Autorization of users, both for access (application, sheet and object) as for datafiltering, is done bij Section Access and Section Application in the Hidden script of your application. You can read everything about this in your QlikView Reference Manual (page 514, 'Security using the Section Access in the QlikView script').

With this it is possible to:

1. Use the network username to grant access to the application or parts of the application
  2. Add a profile in which you name your dimension and the value per profile

If you have additional questions, just let us know!

Regards, Sander

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for this ... the section on Dynamic Data reduction is exactly what i needed.

I suddenly have many different things I'd like to try.

Cheers!

Not applicable
Author

Two questions on this.

Where can I download a copy of the reference manual?

Is this dependent on the script executing? We use web acccess for users to get to the QVWs on the server and now the users want us to 'hide' noe QVW from some users. The QVW in question re-loads off hours and not when the user access it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Martin,
See link Downloads on top of this web page. Aslo you get all documentation on your machine if you run complete installation of QV.
If you use QVS 9, you define user access to each document. No need even for section access, unless you use it for dynamic data reduction.
Reload on server doesn't interact with usage. That's perfectly fine if users access aplication during the reload.

Not applicable
Author

Downloaded the reference material and did not get much more than what I could from the help text.

Re the script, my concern is not that users sign on during re-load but that the users do not trigger the reload. So we woudl not be running the script which is where the section access is. If the script is not executed, will the section access be applied, I tried adding section access and was never prompted for logon (of course it may not be implemented properly)

The reference book talks about windows authentification, I do not see how that is applied. Can we secure the folders on the QliView server and will that prevent uses seeing or opening the QVWs in those folders?

Not applicable
Author

Here an example!

Ciao!Wink

Daniela

//*********************************************
Section Access;
LOAD * INLINE [
ACCESS,USERID,PASSWORD,SERIAL, NTNAME,ABILITAZIONE,OMIT
ADMIN,*,*,*,topolino,TUTTO,
ADMIN,g.pippo,gd1alz,*,*,01_07,
ADMIN,pluto,gz5alr,*,*,TUTTO,
ADMIN,*,*,*,administrator,TUTTO,
ADMIN,ADMIN,ciao,*,*,TUTTO,
ADMIN,rt,italia,*,*,ESTEC,
USER,*,*,*,Sempronio,CAPO1,
USER,Arturo,pg6al4,*,*,CAPO1,
USER,Fritta,Patatina,*,*,00039,
];

//*********************************************

Section Application;
Star is *;
LOAD * INLINE [
ABILITAZIONE, ST_REPARTO
TUTTO,*
01_07,VENDITE
01_07,ORDIINICLIENTI
CAPO1,ACQUISTI
CAPO2,ORIDINIFORNIT
00039,LOGISTICA
ESTEC,AMMINISTRAZIONE
];

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the example and all the other help.

I will give this another try when I have time