Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Server side macro

Hey hi guys,
I'm trying to run a little batch file via macro, and it works just fine... BUT it doesn't when running server side...

sub launchbatPlain
Set objshell = createobject("Wscript.Shell")
sCmd = Chr(34) & "C:\batch.bat " & Chr(34)
objshell.Run(sCmd), 0, False
end sub

We use the IE Plugin, how could I make the macro run server side instead of client side, e.g. running the batch file located on the server C driver, not the user C drive.

Thanks a bunch!

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

try using the PsExec instead of Run for details please see

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

Hope this helps

Talha

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

[quote user="Nicolas Dubé"]running the batch file located on the server C driver, not the user C drive

Does the batch file need to actually *execute* on the server, or can you run on the client but use a UNC path -- \\server\folder\batch.bat -- to point to the file on the server.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

I once had the same problem due to the fact that we don't have the publisher enterprise, but the standard edtion.

The only solution I found was the following:

- Creating a dummy file server side with serversideexport (s. manual/API)

- Running a script/ program which observes the folder all the time and which executes your batch in case of a filled folder

- Delete the file

But maybe s.o. knows a better solution...

Not applicable
Author

Rob, well yes, it actually has to RUN on the server since the batch file uses a special program that we don't want to install client side. That's the real itching point here.

DW, that's a concept, thanks for the idea, this might work as a last resort, but a more straightforward solution would be appreciated here, since this is tied up to the end user response time.

m-wise
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Any luck with this? I'm looking for a serverside macro as well.

Roy

Not applicable
Author

Nopte, not on my side, we've swtich to a workarround solution instead (OpenURL).

But still, comments on the topic at hands are very much appreciated.