cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeckstein
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Set analysis for average of range of sums

I have a equation with set analysis that looks like this.

Sum({<Rolling7Day={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tonight'},FutureFlag={0} >}(LOS_Numerator))
/
Sum({<Rolling7Day={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tonight'},FutureFlag={0} >}(LOS_Denominator))

When put into a table (Date as dimension) and with the parts broken out I get an output like this.

Date

Total

Numerator

Denominator

11/1/2016

11/2/2016

11/3/2016

11/4/2016

11/5/2016

11/6/2016

11/7/2016

TOTAL

The expression total is 3.98 (7921/1989)

My issue is I ned the Expression total to be 3.74. This is the average of the Total Column.

My desired result when putting the Equation above into a text box is to get 3.74 the average of (LOS Numerator/ LOS Denominator) for each specific day.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Got it, try adding NODISTINCT within Aggr() function:

IF(Metric='Tonight',
Num(Avg(Aggr( NODISTINCT
Sum({<Rolling7Day={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tonight'},FutureFlag={0} >}(LOS_Numerator))
/
Sum({<Rolling7Day={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tonight'},FutureFlag={0} >}(LOS_Denominator))
, Date)),'#.##'))

IF(Metric='Tomorrow',

NUM(Avg(Aggr(NODISTINCT(Sum({<PreviousDay={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tomorrow'} >}(FTE_ADC_Hours_Numerator))/8)
/
Sum({<PreviousDay={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tomorrow'} >}(FTE_ADC_Denominator)), Date)),'#,##0')

,'TBD'))

View solution in original post

9 Replies
sunny_talwar

Try this:

Avg(Aggr(

/

, Date)

Basically, you need to use an aggr() function here:

Avg(Aggr(YourExpression, YourDimesnion))

Anonymous
Not applicable

avg(

aggr(

/
          Sum({<Rolling7Day={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tonight'},FutureFlag={0} }(LOS_Denominator))

Date

)

)

jeckstein
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

This is working but, if i use a If statement before it like this

IF(Metric='Tonight',
Num(Avg(Aggr(
/
, Date)),'#.##'))

IF(Metric='Tomorrow',

NUM(Avg(Aggr((Sum({<PreviousDay={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tomorrow'} >}(FTE_ADC_Hours_Numerator))/8)
/
Sum({<PreviousDay={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tomorrow'} >}(FTE_ADC_Denominator)), Date)),'#,##0')

,'TBD'))

This is not working. Any ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

if( ... sum( ...))

is a bad idea. If you have more than one return value within your dimension hierarchy, you'll get null() as return value.

sunny_talwar

Since there are multiple things going on here, what would you want your total to show?

jeckstein
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

So in this example. I made a straight table with the dimension Metric.

For metric Tonight the output of the following

Num(Avg(Aggr(

/

, Date)),'#.##'))

For metric Tomorrow the output of the following

NUM(Avg(Aggr((Sum({<PreviousDay={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tomorrow'} >}(FTE_ADC_Hours_Numerator))/8)

/

These two expression work perfectly, but if and "IF Statement" is added they return of "-"

sunny_talwar

Can you show the snapshot to see the place where you are seeing null? I want to understand the structure of your table before I answer this

jeckstein
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Straight Table:

Metric

Actual
Tonight-
Tomorrow-

The Expression for Actual is =

IF(Metric='Tonight',
Num(Avg(Aggr(
/
, Date)),'#.##'))

IF(Metric='Tomorrow',

/

,'TBD'))

and I am getting a result of null in the Actual column.

Does this work?

sunny_talwar

Got it, try adding NODISTINCT within Aggr() function:

IF(Metric='Tonight',
Num(Avg(Aggr( NODISTINCT
/
, Date)),'#.##'))

IF(Metric='Tomorrow',

NUM(Avg(Aggr(NODISTINCT(Sum({<PreviousDay={1},Metric_Category={'Expense Items'},Metric={'Tomorrow'} >}(FTE_ADC_Hours_Numerator))/8)
/

,'TBD'))