Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Showing a slider object when user chooses one of the chart from a container

Hi,

I have a container with 2 charts in it. If the user selects the chart "A", the slider object "A" should be shown so the user can make a selection. If the user selects the chart "B",then, the slider object "A" should be hidden and the slider object "B" should be shown.

Does anyone has already done that? Do you know ho to implement the selection on one of the container object?

thanks

Caro.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Caro,

The way I'd look to tackle this is as follows:

Set a variable (say vSliderShow), go to the Properties of the sheet where your charts are and select the 'Triggers' tab, now select the chart object ID from the 'Sheet Object Event Triggers' list and click 'Add Actions' under the 'OnActivate' header. This will allow you to add a 'Set Variable' action which of course you set to control vSliderShow and set the value to 'A' for chart A and 'B' for chart B. Finally set a Conditional Show for each of your sliders - the one for chart A should only show when vSliderShow = 'A' and vice versa for chart B.

Bit of a convoluted way round but its actually quite easy once you've done it once.

Hope that helps,

Matt - Viausl Analytics Ltd

View solution in original post

6 Replies
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Caro,

The way I'd look to tackle this is as follows:

Set a variable (say vSliderShow), go to the Properties of the sheet where your charts are and select the 'Triggers' tab, now select the chart object ID from the 'Sheet Object Event Triggers' list and click 'Add Actions' under the 'OnActivate' header. This will allow you to add a 'Set Variable' action which of course you set to control vSliderShow and set the value to 'A' for chart A and 'B' for chart B. Finally set a Conditional Show for each of your sliders - the one for chart A should only show when vSliderShow = 'A' and vice versa for chart B.

Bit of a convoluted way round but its actually quite easy once you've done it once.

Hope that helps,

Matt - Viausl Analytics Ltd

Not applicable
Author

Hi Matt,

It works perfectly if my charts are independant objects, but as soon as I put them inside the container, it is more complex for the user. What happens is that when you choose one of the chart by the icon of the container, the chart isn't automatically activated so, the variable won't be set as the trigger is not launched. The user need then to select also the chart.

Do you know a work around for this?

Thanks,

Caro.

matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Caro,

I've not had too much exposure to the v10 Container objects as I'm still focused on v9.

However my suggestion would be to ditch the container object altogther and instead try to 'old fashioned' way of making 'containers':

In much the same way as we're using a variable to control the 'show' of the sliders we can use a button to control both the show of the slider AND the associated chart. Basically you have 2 buttons (1 labelled 'Show Chart A' and 1 'Show Chart B') clicking Button A sets the show variable to A and chart A and slider A are displayed and as before vice versa for the 'B' objects.

The general principal can be seen in my utterly useless Christmas Tree Object: (click the minimize button) http://community.qlik.com/media/p/151488.aspx

As a final note; you can also set the buttons themselves to be controlled by the show variables: ie when A chart and slider are displayed the button to display A is hidden and only the button for B is shown and vice versa.

Hope that helps,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd

Not applicable
Author

Hi again,

I did it without the container and I have replaced the container icons by buttons still using your variable technique.. it worked 😉

But I am still thinking it is a pity that I can't use the container because it would have been more simple and ine term of design much more uniform for the user..

If you find a way to use the container let me know... !

Thanks,

Caro.

Not applicable
Author

Yes thanks 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Can you post an example for this please?