Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sorting a calculated dimension not working in a bar chart, yet works in a straight table

Hi All,

1) I can create a bar chart, and sort the dimension by descending value.

2) I can create a straight table, using a calculated dimension (returns either "Family" or the "Class", depending whether a selection has been made in the "Family" dimension, and sort this by descending value

3) I can create a bar chart, create a calculated dimension to display either "Class" or "Family" depending on the current selections.

I canNOT sort the chart in point 3) above, despite having achieved this in 1) & 2)

I have attached an example QV file...

Appreciate any thoughts/guidance,

Kind regards,

Rich

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Rich,

Again - I'm not sure if this will work with v8.5 as I'm developing in v9 (I seem to remember that it will) but attached is a possible solution.

Instead of using your calculated dimension I've used a Drill-Down Group as the dimension running from Family > Class. So as with your Calculated Dim when 1 Family is selected the Class values under it are displayed - but hopefully this time the orders will behave.

By sorting the Grouped dimensions by the expression sum(Euros) I get the right result.

Hope that helps,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I checked your application at my end i can see the expected results.

I am using QV 9.0 SR2.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Kuldeep Tak

Not applicable
Author

Hello Please find the the solution of you problem.

Its sorted as your need

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kuldeep & Ashwin,

Thanks for your responses! Im using Qlikview 8.5, and looking at Ashwin solution, the problem still remains... Sad

Do you think this is a bug with v8.5 (as you both suggest its working fine on your platform)?

Anyone else with any ideas?

Kind regards,

Rich

Not applicable
Author

may be it might be BUG.

Beacuse i have sorted your Family and class in number wise in the application which i have shared accros. It working on my machine.

use , Load default in sorting it will work.

Not applicable
Author

strangely, someone has had a look at this via Internet Explorer interface, and it displays correctly, although when they open it in the QV v8.5 server environment, the calculated dimension chart remains unsorted.

What you see, is not what you get...(perhaps im now spending too much time trying to de-bug problems that don't exist)? Any tips how I can overcome this?

Not applicable
Author

this is how its viewed on my QV v8.5 environment:

also, what is the best way to view a QV doc via Internet Explorer?

matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Rich,

Again - I'm not sure if this will work with v8.5 as I'm developing in v9 (I seem to remember that it will) but attached is a possible solution.

Instead of using your calculated dimension I've used a Drill-Down Group as the dimension running from Family > Class. So as with your Calculated Dim when 1 Family is selected the Class values under it are displayed - but hopefully this time the orders will behave.

By sorting the Grouped dimensions by the expression sum(Euros) I get the right result.

Hope that helps,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd

Not applicable
Author

Matt,

Once again many thanks for your tip / coming to the rescue - works a treat!

Much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Rich