Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sorting values that contain both text and numbers

I have a field as below which works out the fiscal quarter :

'Q'& Ceil(If(Month($(vDate)) > 3, Month($(vDate)) - 3, Month($(vDate)) + 9) / 3) as Fiscal_Quarter

The values returned ie Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4 currently appear in a jumbled up order ( due to the 'Q' ) even though it has been sorted in ascending order. How do I get the values to appear in the correct ascending order ? Do I need to modify the script line or would it be a change in the 'Sort by' options ?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Dual(

'Q'& Ceil(If(Month($(vDate)) > 3, Month($(vDate)) - 3, Month($(vDate)) + 9) / 3)

, Ceil(If(Month($(vDate)) > 3, Month($(vDate)) - 3, Month($(vDate)) + 9) / 3

as Fiscal_Quarter

Will give you a Dual field that use Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 as display values in the UI and sort according to the Quarter number in list boxes and other places...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Create a Dual field instead like:

Load

Dual(Fiscal_Quarter, QuarterStart($vDate)) as DFiscal_Quarter;             // preceding load

Load

'Q'& Ceil(If(Month($(vDate)) > 3, Month($(vDate)) - 3, Month($(vDate)) + 9) / 3) as Fiscal_Quarter

From <>;

And then use this new dual field in your chart which would sort correctly.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Dual(

'Q'& Ceil(If(Month($(vDate)) > 3, Month($(vDate)) - 3, Month($(vDate)) + 9) / 3)

, Ceil(If(Month($(vDate)) > 3, Month($(vDate)) - 3, Month($(vDate)) + 9) / 3

as Fiscal_Quarter

Will give you a Dual field that use Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 as display values in the UI and sort according to the Quarter number in list boxes and other places...

Not applicable
Author

Worked perfect with the dual function :

Similarly how would this work if using the pick match function ? This time for fiscal year :

pick( WildMatch((If(Month($(vDate)) > 3, Year($(vDate))+1, Year($(vDate)))),'*2013*','*2014*','*2015*', ),

'FY 13','FY 14','FY 15') as FYear

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I would advice you to have a look at this document:

https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-7094

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Or have a look at the QlikView Components QVC which gives you all these "calculations" for free ...

"Qlikview Components" Open Source Project