Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Split Date into Month and Year

In my excel spreadsheet that I'm uploading into QV I have a "date received" column where all the dates are in this format: DD-MMM-YY (e.g. 07-Mar-13). I would like to have options in my multi box in QV to see just Month and Year. I'd like to compare data from different years by month (like what was the data like this March compared to March 2012), but I don't want to have to change anything in the spreadsheet because the file is used by many people and I don't want to change the format of that "Date Received" column. Is there any way just to create a Month and Year choice in my multi box that draws the information from DD-MMM-YY in the Date Received info?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

That sounds like you selected Override Document Settings on the Number tab and set it to Date for the month field. The month() function returns an integer between 1 and 12 (actually, it creates a dual value with also a text value). If you format 1 as a date you get the date 31-12-1899. So, if that's the case unselect Override Document Settings.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create Year and Month fields in the script

Load

...myfields...,

Year(MyDate) as Year,

Month(MyDate) as Month

from ...myexcelfile...;

Not applicable
Author

What do you mean (MyDate). What should I be typing there? Shoud it be ([Date Received])? Or shoud it be writing an actual date?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Replace MyDate with [Date Received]

please don't ask me what you should replace ...myfields... and ...myexcelfile... with.

Not applicable
Author

First of all thank you for your help. Second of all your script suggestion didn't even accomplish what I wanted it to do, so either you misunderstood what I needed help with, or you don't quite understand QlikView as much as you think you do. And lastly, I've only been using QlikView for a month. I don't see why you're on this site being rude to people who are just looking for some help. You're not required to respond to me at all.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

My apologies. That wasn't intended to insult you. The joke is on me I suppose.

The way I read your question is that you have a date field and want to create a year and a month field from that to be able to make selections of year and/or month (and use the fields as dimensions in charts). If my understanding is incorrect, please tell me what you need.

In case you do want to create new year and month fields...

I was hoping your Date Received would be a date field since it comes from an excel file. Perhaps it's a string instead. In that case you need to make a date from it. Try: Year(date#([Date Received],'DD-MMM-YYYY') as Year

Or is your field name 'date received' instead of 'Date Received'? Qlikview is case sensitive for almost everything.

If that doesn't work, could you post a representative sample of your excel file?

Not applicable
Author

Thank you - I can't upload all of the data, but I did upload a spreadsheet with just the Date Received column. And yes, this is correct, "The way I read your question is that you have a date field and want to create a year and a month field from that to be able to make selections of year and/or month (and use the fields as dimensions in charts)."

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Mostly works. I see only one date that's not a date. See line 520 in your excel file: 25-Oct012 isn't a valid date. The rest gets loaded fine. See attached qvw.

If necessary 25-Oct012 can be made a date too, but it makes things more complicated. It's better to fix the incorrect data entry in the source system.

Not applicable
Author

I've actually tried adding

Year([Date Received]) as Year,

Month([Date Received]) as Month

to the script before. It doesn't seem to work either. The Year comes out fine in the multibox, but when I look at the Month option in the multi box, all the options say Jan- and a year next to it. The years next to Jan are all 1989 or 1900, which aren't even years in my spreadsheet. Thank you for your help, but I'm not sure this is possible to fix without revealing my entire dataset.

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

You can try this.

Month(Date(Date#([Date Received],'DD-MMM-YY'))) as Month,

Year(Date(Date#([Date Received],'DD-MMM-YY'))) as Year

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!