Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Stacked Line Charts

Hello,

I have been seeking ideas as to how to better use stacked line charts like the one below.chart-area.png

While they are great at giving a comparison between targets they lack the precise data points found on regular line charts. Preferably I am looking for a way to visualize the date (x - axis) in the chart as a line or point so that it is easier to determine what value existed at the end of any given year.

Open to suggestions and ideas.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I maybe wrong, but I don't see anything good in this style of line chart.  For your purpose, I'd consider a grouped bar chart.  Not stacked.

Regards,

Michael

Not applicable
Author

Hi, I thought about a grouped bar chart. However, that way the trend line is not as nicely displayed. I know it is a tiny detail, but it would be good. Currently, what you can do is move the cross across the chart and you will get different values depending on where you are hoovering over with the mouse. But that is too random, especially as I am only interested in the year end data points.

Thanks Michael. 

whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

First, put the numbers below the lines as they are connected with area not with lines. So Bob's numbers should be in the Yellow area etc.

The question was 'how "that" at the end of the year was happened?'. And I think this chart answers on it almost clearly with particular emphasis on continuity, total dynamic and result at the end. The persons order is not the point in this case, but as the data is smooth it's not confusing.

Thoughts:

This charts keep dynamic for each dimension value and the total dynamic. They are suitable for additive and smooth data, especially when the order of  dimension values makes sense.

They are better than stacked bar charts if the continuity of time is the point.

Cumulative x-axis is even better case, 'cause of smoothness as the values can't jump up and down.

In other words they can answer the questions: what is the (cumulative) dynamic of 1, of 1+2, of 1+2+3 ... of total; who is the driver and so on. As a drawback, the actual dynamics is lost except the first dimension value and totals.