Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Star is *

Hi Guys,

For some reason the "star is * " is not working in my access section.

Anybody has any idea?

Thanks,

Nima

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

What do you mean with 'not working'?

Maybe you need to note this part of the Help:

A wildcard, i. e. *, is interpreted as all (listed) values of this field, i.e. a value listed elsewhere in this table. If used in one of the system fields (USERID, PASSWORD, NTNAME or SERIAL) in a table loaded in the access section of the script, it is interpreted as all (also not listed) possible values of this field.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for replying,

Here is the case: I have my section access in excel, containing

ACCESS,NTNAME,ACCOUNT_MANAGER,SALES_PERSON

i.e: ADMIN, ts-web\NIMA,*,*

star is *;

section access:

As far I understand ,the person :NIMA , should be able to see all the account_managers and salespersons, but he is not !!!!!!!!

If you have any idea let me know.

Thanks

swuehl
MVP
MVP

That's exactely the issue I assumed, in a section access, if you use the wildcard in a field you want to dynamically reduce, the wildcard is interpreted as all listed values in the section access tables for that field.

In your example, if you only have one user ADMIN, and you are using the wildcard for ACCOUNT_MANAGER and SALES_PERSON, I believe he won't see anything!

If you have another user USER1, and you set a value for SALES_PERSON, PERSON1 and another USER2 with value PERSON2, both will see their respective SALES_PERSON, and ADMIN will see both (but not all SALES_PERSON that are in your data model, loaded in your section application.

This is not intuitive and I don't know why they have implemented it like this, but this is how I believe the wildcard in section access works (note that the wildcard behaves differently for the above mentioned access fields USERID, PASSWORD, etc.)

Regards,

Stefam

Not applicable
Author

As you mentioned and I have already seen in manual document , it shows all the listed values and I had to add all the names for account_managers and sales_persons to be able to see them . I was hoping that there is a way to get around this issue.

Thanks,

Nima

Shubham778
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi ,

Please try using "star is *" at the begining of the section access section of the script and load the user data after that.

Hope that it helps.