Qlik Community

QlikView App Development

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
QlikWorld 2020: Join us May 11 - 14, 2020 in Phoenix, AZ. Register early and save $400. Learn More
Highlighted
qliklizzy
Contributor

Syn Tables bad design

Hi

I have an app which gives me future clinic(clinics) and theatre utilisation (fact), I was able to bring two different data sets that will never link to show capacity gaps in both areas using calendars complete separate so I was happy to have a syn table between my fact and clinic tables when using the master calendar.

however I am further depveloping the app, for the use of planning - so I am trying to link in an admissions table, to show what actually happened as well as what's planned 'In month' to produce a forecast which currently resides in a spreadsheet manually done with no drill through. 

But I now get syn 3 tables as I thought I need the admission date to be the same date as op date so I can select a month and show actual and plan for December - if you see what I mean.  I have a spell number field that would connect Theatre(fact) to admissions but how would I get the date to connect to master? - so confusing

I think its my bad design and not understanding the links needed for master calendar ? I've tried to read up as its quite a popular question but I just cannot relate it to what I am doing - if any one can help I would greatly appreciate it!

I have attached my scrambled app

thank you

Liz

5 Replies
Partner
Partner

Re: Syn Tables bad design

Am i right in understanding you have multiple date fields with which you need to filter with a common date filter?
if so you need a canonical date table. See below

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Canonical-Date/ba-p/1463578
qliklizzy
Contributor

I think so - this could be it.
I will try to put it into practice today ! thanks .... will let you know
Partner
Partner

happy to help
qliklizzy
Contributor

Hi

I have created my bridge; thanks! new skill I now have 🙂

however not sure its helping me, I have date for op date, and discharge date for activity date, and when I want to view week commencing 26th November I should just get those that were discharged that week as the date has passed, but if I want to look at December as month - I will have discharges in December and planned op dates in December also to create a complete forecast if you see what I mean?

at the moment if I select December I don't see week commencing 26th November so I miss activity for 1st & 2nd December, and if I select WC 26th November I get discharges in November also. 😐 I'm getting really confused how I should arrange my dates to make this work.

Thank you for helping with the bridge table though its really useful to know when comparing datasets.

qliklizzy
Contributor

Think I'm nearer to it,

but I have noticed a patient in the fact table with 1 spell number across two rows one  cancelled and the other treated so its being brought in twice getting confused, which I didn't realise could happen in that table 😞

what a mess!