cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synthetic Keys

Hi All,

I have started this discussion thread for the Clarifications required on the topic of Synthetic Keys. Below is My understanding of the Synthetic Keys. Please confirm if correct or  provide any suggestions if wrong.

1) Synthetic Keys are Not harmful as is the common Perception otherwise. Synthetic keys can be present in the data model without any problem as witnessed by me too

2) Now, i came across the following statement in the manual "synthetic keys are possible combined values of the matching columns in two tables". What does this exactly means?. shouldn't it be a concatenated value of Two or more matching Columns? . What does Possible combined value means?. Consider i have two tables 1(Fields A, B, C, D)  and B(Fields A, B, C, E), now what will be the synthetic key(Is it AB, AC, ABC)?. Isn't It is supposed to have a single concatenated field(ABC), same as how we will create a manual composite key?

3) Is synthetic table a link table automatically created by Qlikview?

Thanks in Advance

13 Replies
PrashantSangle

Hi,

If you want to associate field A from table 3 to table 1 then Just create add new table Qlikview will automatically associate it with table 1

Regards,

Great dreamer's dreams never fulfilled, they are always transcended.
Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I want my model to be a star schema, is it feasible?, can we have three fact tables connected with each other?

PrashantSangle

I want my model to be a star schema, is it feasible?,

> completely depend on number of records in each fact table.

can we have three fact tables connected with each other?

> Yes you can.

Regards,

Great dreamer's dreams never fulfilled, they are always transcended.
Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the answers Prashant

Is there no need to create a link table if we are using three fact tables in a star schema?

thanks in advance