Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Table Designs and Formats

Hi guys,

Just for a change of pace (I only read a few threads about preetifying a document, hehehe)...

Would anyone have an idea on how to build different colored / formatted tables? Are there add ons already available that could be downloaded - (either for a fee or otherwise)?

Or even other document objects?

This might be helpful for some developers who think the existing set is uhmmm... a bit limiting.

Thanks for the help!

8 Replies
mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Have you tried the 'Custom Format Cell' Command?

You first need to activate The Design Grid (Ctrl + G) and then right click your table and choose 'Custom Format Cell'.

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Mike.

Miguel García
Qlik Expert, Author and Trainer
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

And just in case you weren't aware, there are a number of styles supplied on the Style tab of the chart properties. You might fiddle around with those settings before resorting to custom cell formatting. Mind you, I custom format cells all the time, so I'm not saying NOT to do it.

Not applicable
Author

Hello

Realise this is an old thread but I am having problems using the Custom Format Cell feature that you mention here.

I right click the column in a table, choose Custom Format Cell.

I then click Background Color, which brings this up.

I then enter this expression into the Calculated box:

if(GroupTotal >= TargetSoFar, RGB(0,0,255),if(GroupTotal >= TargetSoFar, RGB(255,127,0),RGB(255,0,0)))

The white box on the above picture turns red, which is correct for the specific cell I right clicked.

However, when I click OK, the whole column turns red, which is not correct. If I were to click a cell which is (in my data) ahead of target, then the above box turns green. Again, this is correct but not for the whole column.

Finally, when I then go back into the above screen, this has happened (i.e. the Calculated has completely vanished and it is now solid color).

Is this a known bug in Qlikview 10, or am I either doing something wrong or being daft?

Thanks

James

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I don't off hand know why that doesn't work. That said, there's another, probably better way to handle this particular case. This is a dimension? Open up the chart properties, go to the dimensions tab, and click on the little + next to the dimension. That will open up a number of things that you can customize. One of those things will be "background color". Click on that, click the edit button, and enter your color expression there instead of in the custom format cell properties. That should do the color by cell instead of by column. You can do the same thing with expressions on the expressions tab.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I just tried the same in ver. 9.00. The Calculated expression stays (not being overridden), but the whole column's background remains the same, disregarding of the conditions.

I believe it's because the "custom cell" conditions are being evaluated once for the whole chart, and not in every cell. On the other side, following John's suggestion, defining conditional colors in the Dimensions' and Expressions' attributes will be evaluated for each cell, and therefore work as desired.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks to you both for your replies.

John, afraid this is a normal Table Box object, not a chart. I had different problems getting colours to work in my chart but that's a subject for another post (which I shall do shortly).

Cheers
James

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Use a straight table, add only dimensions, and uncheck "suppress zero values" on the presentation tab. I don't think I've ever used a table box in a live application. Table boxes simply lack the flexibility to do anything interesting, as you're discovering.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Totally agree with John - table boxes are there for backward compatibility, but clearly a Straight Table does everything better than a Table Box.