cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dena_reavis
Employee
Employee

Troubleshooting RangeSum variables

I thought I understood RangeSum was able to ignore a value that doesn't calculate, like if adding up field1 + field2 + field3 and one of the fields is null or not numbers.

I am trying to use RangeSum(var1,var2,var3) to add up three variables and it is not working .... I can't figure out why. The var1, var2, and var3 are calculating fine. I can see them when I put them in separate expressions by themselves.  When I change from RangeSum to var1 + var2 + var3 it works correctly. Why? 

I'm not using any of the powerful parts of RangeSum for accumulation or anything like that. Nothing fancy at all. The variables I have are just large-ish expressions and I need to add some of them together, so instead of repeating the expressions, I use the variables. 

I am using QlikView 12.4. Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thank you.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dena_reavis
Employee
Employee
Author

I have them with dollar-sign-expansions already. It turns out I was provided several circular references and that was the main cause. 

Other minor cause: loading variables from excel may have picked up some non-breaking spaces as characters instead of regular spaces. Some variables were not calculating as $(var1) * $(var2), but removing the spacing it works correctly $(var1)*$(var2). I have never had problems with spaces in the Qlik expression editor but I should know not to trust Excel. 

Thank you!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

HI,

Try below expression and it should work according to me.

Rangesum($(var1),$(var2),$(var3))

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
dena_reavis
Employee
Employee
Author

I have them with dollar-sign-expansions already. It turns out I was provided several circular references and that was the main cause. 

Other minor cause: loading variables from excel may have picked up some non-breaking spaces as characters instead of regular spaces. Some variables were not calculating as $(var1) * $(var2), but removing the spacing it works correctly $(var1)*$(var2). I have never had problems with spaces in the Qlik expression editor but I should know not to trust Excel. 

Thank you!