Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eduardo_palacios
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Using Peek for the Next Row in Script

Hello everybody,

Can someone tell me why this isn't working?

temp:

LOAD

RowNo() as CurrentRow,

RowNo() + 1 as NextRow

Resident

OldTable

Order By

ContractNumber, refDate

;

drop table OldTable;

NewTable:

LOAD

Peek('Date', num#(NextRow)) AS NextRowDate

Resident

temp

Order By

ContractNumber, refDate

;

DROP TABLE temp;

I need to input on the current row a field telling me what is on a specific field on the next row. The 'NextRowDate' is showing a null value instead of the value of the field Date on the next Row.

Need help!

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think the reason it's no working is because peek() can work with either one parameter or three parameters, but not with two:

- Peek(Field) will give you the previous value of the Field in the current table

- Peek(Field, Row, Table) will give you the value of the Field from the specified Row in the specified Table.

In your example, you didn't specify the table, and that is likely the reason of the problem.

Having said that, I agree that the more intuitive solution is to sort the table in the descending order and retrieve the previous value, instead of the next value.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik skills at the Masters Summit for Qlik - coming soon to Milan, Italy!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
sunny_talwar

I think to look into next row, I would do a sort in descending order and then use the regular way of doing the peek.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

// test data

X:

load

RecNo() as CurrentRow,

date(makedate(2014)+floor(rand()*1000)) as RefDate,

floor(rand()*10) as ContractNumber

AutoGenerate 100;

// add next row e date

Left join (X)

load

ContractNumber,

CurrentRow,

previous(CurrentRow) as NextRow,

previous(RefDate) as NextRefDate

Resident X

Order By ContractNumber, RefDate desc, CurrentRow;

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think the reason it's no working is because peek() can work with either one parameter or three parameters, but not with two:

- Peek(Field) will give you the previous value of the Field in the current table

- Peek(Field, Row, Table) will give you the value of the Field from the specified Row in the specified Table.

In your example, you didn't specify the table, and that is likely the reason of the problem.

Having said that, I agree that the more intuitive solution is to sort the table in the descending order and retrieve the previous value, instead of the next value.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik skills at the Masters Summit for Qlik - coming soon to Milan, Italy!