Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using QlikView Desktop on a PC With No Server Connectivity

Hi,

I've just installed QlikView Server, having done several weeks worth of development on the Desktop using an evaluation licence and am now beginning to understand how QlikView licensing works.

One issue I see is that I often work at home where I have no connectivity to the server and, hence, cannot lease a licence. Is there any way to lease a licence and then take it home on a memory stick?

Cheers,
Pete Sykes, London (work) & Brighton (home), UK

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi, the QVsReferenceManual explains as follows:

19.4 License Lease

A QlikView client, that does not have a registered license, is allowed to connect to a QlikView Server and "borrow" a license so that the user can work off-line for a period 30 days. The QlikView client must then make an authenticated log on (not anonymous) and obtain a Named CAL. Each time QlikView is started, QlikView tries to contact the QlikView Server and renew the license lease. If the client cannot reach the Server after 30 days, the license lease expires. A license lease is only possible using the QlikView Desktop or the QlikView Plug-In for Internet Explorer. It is hence not possible to obtain a license lease using the Java or Ajax clients.

Good luck!

Rainer

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I believe the answer is no. If you need extended or permanent standalone use of QlikView Desktop, you need to acquire a QlikView Local Client license.

Not applicable
Author

Hi, the QVsReferenceManual explains as follows:

19.4 License Lease

A QlikView client, that does not have a registered license, is allowed to connect to a QlikView Server and "borrow" a license so that the user can work off-line for a period 30 days. The QlikView client must then make an authenticated log on (not anonymous) and obtain a Named CAL. Each time QlikView is started, QlikView tries to contact the QlikView Server and renew the license lease. If the client cannot reach the Server after 30 days, the license lease expires. A license lease is only possible using the QlikView Desktop or the QlikView Plug-In for Internet Explorer. It is hence not possible to obtain a license lease using the Java or Ajax clients.

Good luck!

Rainer

Not applicable
Author

Se also this discussion:

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/23582.aspx

Rainer

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rainer and Tom. You've confirmed what I suspected.

I'll have to speak nicely to our account manager about swapping a server CAL for a standalone one!

Not applicable
Author

Pete,

The key thing in the manual that was referenced is 'named CAL'. There are 4 types of CAL - named/document/session/usage but I believe only named CALs allow you to borrow a licence to use the local client off-line.

If you have server, I believe it used to come with a bundle of licences as standard.

You may well find you have what you need anyway - check under the CAL tab on Server MAnagement Console (at least it is there on 8.20) to see the types of CALs you have. If you have a named CAL to yourself, simply choose 'Open in server' any document from your desktop client and that should be all you need to do. If you open Qlikview off-line you should see on the start page a display something like 'You are currently leasing a licence from xxxxxxxxx'.

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gordon but the key thing is that I need one CAL (mine!) to work both at work (connectable to the server) and at home (not even remotely connectable!). What I need is a lease without having to actually connect and it doesn't look like I can to that without having a standalone licence.

It looks like I've got other issues too as we need access from a mix of domain and non-domain (but connected) machines but I'll leave that question for the moment - I've got other things to do first!