Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using 'Select in field' action for multiple selections

Hi,

I am using sheet actions to pre-select some fields on a particular sheet when the user opens it.

This works fine when I want to make a single selection (e.g. Field=Colour, Search String = 'Yellow').

error loading image

However I can't figure out how to make multiple selections in the same field (something like Search String = 'Yellow','Blue'). The help manual clearly indicates this should be possible:

Select in Field: "Selects the values and fields that are specified. In the Search String you can specify a search mask, e.g. (A|B) will select both A and B."

I can't for the life of me figure out how to write this, I can't seem to get the syntax right. I have tried all of the following:

='Yellow','Blue'

=Yellow,Blue

=('Yellow','Blue')

=('Yellow'|'Blue')

=('Yellow'&'Blue')

=('Yellow' and 'Blue')

Anyone got this to work? Other threads raise this question but the only answers seem to be 'use a macro' (http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/23382/89368.aspx#89368). I'd rather not use macros jsut for this as I have not used macros so far, and would be good to keep consistent.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Rahul is correct..............

However..........

(YELLOW|BLUE) also works, no equals sign, no quotes, but include the brackets.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Not applicable
Author

As you have use select in field to select one value . After that use toggle select to select the othere values . One toggle select for one value and this is how you will be able to select multiple values.

Not applicable
Author

Rahul is correct..............

However..........

(YELLOW|BLUE) also works, no equals sign, no quotes, but include the brackets.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Nigel,

I obviously didn't hit on that combination!

Note to others aswell: don't use a preceeding equals sign, this also breaks it.

Not applicable
Author

My requirement is a bit trickier. I have to select all values which do not contain 'QA*' as below

=not(wildmatch(Operation,'QA*'))

I can of course list all values in Operation which is not equal to QA like (FT|FT1|FT2|WS1|WS2). However, Operation is a dynamic list and I don't want to add a value whenever a new operation comes in.

Any ideas ?

Not applicable
Author

I have a field with spaces, say 'bla bla bla'. And the values it caointains have also spaces, say 'a b c' 'd e f' 'g h i' 'j k l'. My intention is to create a button that selects: 'a b c' 'd e f' 'g h i'

I've tried

( a b c | d e f | g h i )

( 'a b c' | 'd e f' | 'g h i' )

( [a b c] | [d e f] | [g h i] )

but it doesn't work.

Someone knows why??

Not applicable
Author

I think there are two (well, probably more but here are two) ways to do this:

1. Create a button with a "Select in Field" action. Have it select "a b c" (no quotes) in your field. Then create two more "Toggle Select" actions on that same button to select "d e f" and "g h i", respectively. Again, no quotes.

2. Create one button that does a "Select in Field" action. Put this in the "Search String" box: (a*b*c|d*e*f|g*h*i)

Approach 2 will work but you have to be careful since you're using wildcards. Sometimes I used this to select multiple first name / last name combinations.

Just a thought.

Chris

Not applicable
Author

Anthony,

did you find solution? I've got same issue.

Regards,

Monika

tanelry
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

> My requirement is a bit trickier. I have to select all values which do not contain 'QA*' as below
=not(wildmatch(Operation,'QA*'))

You can use bookmark instead of direct selection.

Clear all selections and in a list box of field "Operation" make selection as above or more simple:
=not Operation like 'QA*'
Add a bookmark to be applied "on top" of current selections, without layout state.
Now you can use this bookmark in actions to make selection.

Bookmark is also useful solution for other "tricky" examples brought up in this thread.

Not applicable
Author

Im having the same problems. I can select the appropriate fields with the | symbol, but if the value you are trying to select contains a space, it falls over.

VERY ANNOYING INDEED