Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stats101
Partner - Contributor III

Using data from JSON Rest API in Qlikview

Hi,

I'm exploring options to retrieve data from a rest web service into Qlikview. I'm trying to gauge the feasibility of the below considerations, so any feedback would be appreciated:

Develop a bespoke connector - Create a connector utility to send web request and convert response JSON document into CSV to load into Qlikview

Qlikview Expressor - Use/develop REST extension for expressor to load JSON data directly into QVW

Qlikview Extension / QVSource - Seems very well supported. No idea of cost.

Qlikview Extension / ETL-Tools QlikView Connector - Has anyone used before?

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I would guess that the size of the data and the speed that the data is delivered from the Web Service is your real bottle neck. I am pretty sure that temporary storing/holding the data is totally insignificant compared to that. But the QVSource have a lot of other advantages being an industry standard quality solution and offering the full flexibility of an advanced tool.

So basically it all depends on your full requirements and your your budget.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Some other options:

Use PowerShell - that comes with Windows - you can do RESTful API and scripts that allow you to read and write JSON

Use cURL - commandline tool to do the communication - have to use something else to parse/convert JSON messages.

stats101
Author

Thanks Petter. I'm wondering what the difference in performance considerations are for the above options. A custom solution would need to store files in temporary holding area before loading into Qlikview, whereas an extension like QVSource would load directly into the Qlikview application.

Thanks

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I would guess that the size of the data and the speed that the data is delivered from the Web Service is your real bottle neck. I am pretty sure that temporary storing/holding the data is totally insignificant compared to that. But the QVSource have a lot of other advantages being an industry standard quality solution and offering the full flexibility of an advanced tool.

So basically it all depends on your full requirements and your your budget.

stats101
Author

We're working with several billion rows, so any incidental difference in storing the file in a holding area I would suspect would add a tangible overhead at those numbers. Will look further into QVSource. Thanks

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Did this answer your question? If it did please mark the thread as answered or follow-up by marking something helpful or supply with further questions or information if it is necessary to conclude

Not applicable

Hi All,

Any Luck in sending JSON post command to read output of the web-service call made from Qlikview to R calculator service?

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes it is possible to make a JSON post with xmlhttp-request from a VBscript or JScript macro and get the result back and make it available as QlikView Variables. These variables can be integrated with field/tables by using a helper table that add the results via the variables. Not too much data should go back and forth perhaps. But mostly with R it isn't always a huge number of values....