Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

V9 SR4 - PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS - URGENT

Hello Folks

I have today discovered, pretty conclusively, that we have very serious performance issues when using Version 9 SR4 that are removed when moving backwards to SR3, and I'm wondering how many other people out there are suffering performance issues (I've seen pretty much nothing reported on this forum).

I was running a single QVW on my local machine using Version 8.50 and Version 9.00 SR4, using V8.5 the application was working an responding as expected, very quickly but V9 SR4 would take one minute or more to react to a single selection change. CPU Usage would rise to 100% and stay there whenever I made a selection change.

I removed SR4 and installed SR3, and the exact same QVW is now working at the same performance level as v8.5.

I am wondering how this can happen unless very few of you are using SR4 at the moment OR there is something very specific in our applications that cause SR4 to perform so badly, the application is completely unusable so I'm surprised I've not seen entries here about this.

Would welcome ANY AND ALL comments regarding your experience with SR4 relating to performance, PLEASE post some feedback to this.

Thanks,

5 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Our server is 9.0 SR4. Our clients are still officially 8.5, but we developers are running 8.5 and 9.0 SR4 in parallel, and many documents have been saved and installed as a 9.0 SR4 version after making sure they'll still display OK in an 8.5 client. I have done no performance testing, but have not seen any performance problems either.

Not applicable
Author

Hi John

Thanks for the response, it seems very strange!

You really wouldn't need to do performance testing if you got the same problems as we have, it is completely unusable and obvious within seconds, every action takes minutes and the server remains at 100% CPU usage.

I'm not sure what to make of the lack of response from other people, there are various entries on the forum relating to the use of SR4 but nothing with regard to performance so it appears that we are alone in suffering this. I'm officially bald now, having torn the remaining remnants of my hair out yesterday.................

Very odd indeed.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Nigel,

We had a horrendous period sorting out performance on SR2 and found that our log file was growing exponentially ... about 10MB per second as soon as a QVW file was opened on the server. It reached 15GB before we found it!

We still are reluctant to turn logging on as a result!

Thanks

Lee

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lee

Thanks for the tip, we checked the log files and SR4 doesn't appear to be doing the same as SR2, we don't have huge log files.

The QlikView example documents that are provided with every installation works fine on our installation of SR4, so this points to a very specific problem with our documents that is highlighted only with SR4, I think the next step is going to be to send a copy of one of our documents across to QlikTech to see if they can track down the root cause.

Thanks again,

Not applicable
Author

Hi Nigel,

On the tab that opens when you open up the QVW; if you minimise all of the charts, save a copy and then reopen, the problem might not manifest itself. If it doesn't then you know it will be a problem in a particular chart that calculates upon opening. If it still is a problem then it might be triggered by an 'on open' action, or hidden object.

Failing that it - if the problem is only happening when you make selections then I would have to say go to QlikTech or a Partner to see if they can work it out. I would pay particular attention to some of the more advanced financial functions that may have been overlooked during QA and not picked up by anyone on here.

In general I have to say that I haven't seen any huge issues with SR4 until your post!

-QB