Qlik Community

QlikView App Development

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.
Highlighted

Value Handling Variable - OtherSymbol

While browsing for something on QlikView help, I came across Value Handling Variable called OtherSymbol (ValueHandlingVariables/OtherSymbol). I tried to read the help, but not sure I understand what it is doing. Can somebody shed some light on this

SET OtherSymbol='+';

LOAD * INLINE [
X, Y
a, a
b, b
c, c
d, d
e, e
];

LOAD * INLINE [
X, Z
a, a
d, d
+, c
e, e
];

Output is this

image.png

Specifically curious on why X = e, Y = e getting repeated. This has something to the order in which the X = + row is loaded... because if I load this

SET OtherSymbol='+';

LOAD * INLINE [
    X, Y
    a, a
    b, b
    c, c
    d, d
    e, e
];

LOAD * INLINE [
    X, Z
    a, a
    d, d
    e, e
    +, c
];

I get just one row for X = e, Y = e

image.png

5 Replies
uacg0009
Valued Contributor

Re: Value Handling Variable - OtherSymbol

Hi Sunny,

Firstly I want to say that I learnt a lot from your reply before in Qlikivew Community, and I really hope that one day I can be strong enough like you in Qlikview.

This is my first time to see the "OtherSymbol", I think it's a cool function when doing join.

And I tried in my desktop. I think:

The "+" means all values except all above values.

So when you put it on the third column, the "+" means (b,c,e).

when you put it on the last column, the "+" means (b,c).

I tried to put it on the first column, then I got 8 rows in the table. You can try it.

Thanks.

Aiolos

I never used this feature before and I'm also not really sure how it worked and what might be a real use-case for it (and if it had then really significantly advantages against other ways to solve the required task - especially in regard to control that only certain values/field-values are transformed).

I didn't yet a testing but I think it would be useful / necessary to include a recno() into the loadings and to view the results within the tableviewer because a tablebox within the UI creates already a join and it might lead to misinterpreting. Further it might be interesting to look with fieldvalue() on the results (maybe with an additionally load/loop) to see what is really stored.

- Marcus

@marcus_sommer wrote:

what might be a real use-case for it

This is where it really got me. What can be a use case for such a thing. Where might I feel that something like this will come in handy. May be we can invite other people to seek there response on it's usage

@rwunderlich@hic

thanks @uacg0009!!.

I sort of get what it is doing, but I am looking to understand where will such a behavior will come in handy.

uacg0009
Valued Contributor

Hi Sunny,

Actually I met a request several weeks ago, I think if I know the "othersymbol", maybe I will try to use it.
Fox example, we have different countries data, like US,UK,China,Japan and so on.
And we have a new table now, we want to left join the new table to the fact table.
For new table, we may have:
Country, Value
US, 100
UK, 200
China, 300

And for other countries, I want to give a default value like 50.
I think we can use the "othersymbol".

Aiolos
Community Browser